Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Proxy Worm?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 asm51

asm51

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hi All,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this problem that has been causing me grief for weeks.

Three weeks ago I began to get multiple Symantec Email Proxy warnings on my desktop. The warnings vary but usually involve 'The Server rejected the message'. The messages are being sent to randomly created Email addressses such as 'FredSmith999@AOL.com'.These warnings would appear at a rate of up to 20 a minute. Sometimes they would appear immediately I logged on, sometimes not for hours and sometimes not for days.

I was running Symantec Client Security on a fully updated XP Pro installation. I used a System Restore point and even restored a Ghost image of the installation from months previously when all was OK, but to no avail, the warning messages started again. I ran every Online Virus Scanner and Spyware scanner I could fine but nothing was found. I've run every stand-alone virus/trojan remover I can find but again nothing was found.

I eventually decided to completely reload my computer and this time I have installed Symantec Endpoint Protection. The messages started again after 3 days! The only way I can work is to disable Email scanning in Symantec Endpoint Protection. I have again run every Online scanner I can find and again nothing has been found. I've restored another Ghost image, again to no avail.

I have searched on Google for this problem and found many references to it. mainly from years ago, but no absolute solution.

This is a picture of a typical bunch of messages:

Posted Image

This is my Hijack This Log:

Now in the HijackThis Analysis Forum

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

asm51

Edited by asm51, 19 February 2008 - 10:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

Hello asm51 and welcome to BC :flowers:

Now that you have posted an HJT log in the HJT forum, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users