Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Web Page Updates w/in PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wu8303794836

wu8303794836

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:31 AM

I need help w/ very, very slow web page updates and downloads to my Dell Dimension 4600 pc (Windows XP Pro SP2, Intel Pentium4 x 2.4ghz) connected to internet thru Dell TrueMobile 2300 router which is connected to DSL cable modem provided by Consolidated.net ISP. The web updates on this pc are as slow as a phone line modem connection.

The cable modem and router are working ok because if I connect my old Compaq laptop to the same router port as the Dell pc, web page updates & downloads are very, very fast. I can then connect my Dell pc to the same router port, and the web page updates are very, very slow.

The web page address shows immediately on the lower left side of the Internet Explorer window, but there is a 30-45 second delay before the web page first comes up on the screen. Then it continues to slowly shows up on the screen. I also have a wirelss connected Compaq pc connected to this same router, and the updates to this wireless connected pc are very, very fast.

I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed on the Dell pc, both in auto-protect mode. I tried disabling both software packages, but no change to the web page updates to the Dell pc. I ran several anti-spyware software packages (Spybot Search & Destroy, CW Shredder & Ad-aware), but internet pages still update and files still download very slow on Dell pc.

I pinged www.google.com and got response "destination host unreachable". Pls help.

I ran CCleaner and it reported 159mb to be removed, but I haven't yet run the Cleaner pending help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:45 AM

From the sounds of your excellent desriptions and including the specifcations
I think the best step to take next would be to let us see a HJT log.

It is designed to "snapshot" the overall system, from the perspective
of highlighting areas most likely to be compromised by
malaware and it also indicates to a trained eye
possible conflicts or bottlenecks within
the particular combination
of software running.

Norton programs lately have typically missed even major problems present.

This quick read

How to post ( and where) HijackThis! should be clicked n' followed. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:56 PM

I've moved your HJT log to a new location in the forum where it will be seen and responded to, w(lottsa numbers) :thumbsup:

Sorry if it got lost in the shuffle here.

New location is:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HJT...836-t14110.html
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:11 PM

I have answered this post in the HijackThis forum. See this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HJT...836-t14110.html

OT

Edited by OldTimer, 22 March 2005 - 11:14 PM.

I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users