Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reset Account

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rayal49

Rayal49

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

Does anyone know how to reset a computer account without having to delete current account?
Account opens but is very slow and flashes a message (to fast to read) something about unable to read" XXXXXXX"

Sequence is as follows:After startup, Desktop screen opens, Task bar opens slowly, message flashes, then after several minutes desktop icons appear, but desktop screen goes blank, then screen reappears, after this everything seems to work ok. Any ideas on how to stop this ?

Rayal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:36 AM

Hi lecy,

Don't you just hate it when someone answers your question with a question?

1.) Are you using XP or some other operating system? 2.) Is there more than one account on the PC? If so how well do the other accounts work? 3.) Is the account that you're having difficulties with an Admin account?

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 Rayal49

Rayal49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:27 AM

Wendy,
Answer to 1/ OS is XP home 2/ There are two accounts on computer, other account is working fine 3/Yes ,it is an admin account(both are)

Edited by lecy, 19 February 2008 - 07:59 AM.

Rayal

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:21 AM

Hi lecy,

OK if that's the case I don't see a big problem, but then I've been acting kind of blond here of late.

I would try making a new Admin account and just copy all of the folders from the slow account into it and seeing if that helped to speed it up. If it worked then I would delete the slow bugger, *giggling* and if it didn't work then I'd come rushing back over here and post a reply telling me how blond my idea was. :thumbsup:

I mean if you have an Admin account then you can do all of that without any trouble so it might be worth a shot.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 Rayal49

Rayal49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:37 AM

Thanks Wendy I'll try that, and you can't be that blond ,after all you are a senior member

Lecy

Rayal

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:40 AM

Hi lecy,

I don't know about the 'Senior' member thing... maybe some one in Admin thinks I'm getting old or something. Anyway how about letting me know if my idea worked... OK?

Good Luck

Wendy

#7 Rayal49

Rayal49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

Wendy,
Thanks ,copying files to new account worked.Everything opens up now at fastspeed.
Again thanks.

Rayal

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

Also, usually whenever you have problems with your account, making a new one usually solves it. (This is what I have noticed. :thumbsup: )

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:14 AM

Hi lecy *drinking a beer and patting self on back while doing little happy dance on coffee table*

Glad to hear that it worked. Now just make sure that you have all of the files that you want or need copied over to the new account, reset the old account to 'Limited' and just leave it alone for a week or two till you know for sure that all of your problem has been corrected and then delete the bugger.

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users