Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost My Systray

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 himbo

himbo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

The icon for systray is gone, I searched systray and found it in C:\Windows]system32
Properties...
ver. 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)
size 3.00 kb
I click to open it but nothing happens, I do not get an error message, just nothing.
the systray.exe file shows in
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

Is the systray important? I am pretty new with computer problems.
I wanted to use it to set brightness etc.

I cannot change the brightness, contrast, etc for divx player or kmplayer

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:50 AM

Hi himbo, Welcome to BC

I don't think that your systray has anything to do with the settings that you are talking about. I know that you can set some of your settings for your desk top by going to Start > Control Panel > Display, and then experimenting with the settings that you find there.

I have a bunch of little buttons on the front of my monitor that are for doing a lot of settings but I don't mess with them because I don't want to break anything.

Good luck

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:59 AM

The systray is the System Tray utility that is on the far right side of your taskbar. It displays the clock and some icons for open applications.

It is a needed part of Windows, and you are not getting the full benefit of your Operating system without it.
Is the system tray open? can you see little icons and the clock in the lower right side of your screen (assuming your taskbar is on the bottom) If you can see the icons, then systray is open and running.

It should automatically load with windows and you should not have to manually start it unless you have manually stopped it.

If your systray file is corrupted you may need to perform a repair install of windows.

Now, you were stating how you cannot adjust the brightness/contrast for divx player and kmplayer.
These settings are located in the "Display" section of the Control Panel. OR located in the settings for your graphics card. (nVidia control panel, etc...)
The systray should not have anything to do with the display properties.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:20 AM

Is the bottom taskbar still visible? (minus the system tray next to the clock).

Is there an arrow < in a blue circle next to the clock?

Two directions I can go, but which one depends on the answers to the above questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users