Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Daily Scanning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MN2006

MN2006

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

I have the AVG free version and I was wondering if I could get it to stop scanning everyday. I don't mind it updating everday but it scans so slowly and sometimes it takes awhile when I stop it from scanning to stop. Is there a way that I coud stop it or is it programmed that it has to? Sometimes it takes 6 hours to scan my computer. I'd do it at night instead but I hate leaving my computer on all the time like that. I use it during the day for school work and I shut it down at night.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

Hello MN2006,

You can stop it from doing that by going into the program settings and removing the checkmark by automatic scan. I'm not sure exactly how to do this as I haven't used AVG in a long while, but you can get there through the control panel then to the scheduler. (From page 12 of the User Manual found here under Documentation). DO keep the resident scanning active as this is an important of your protection.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:41 PM

RIGHT click on the AVG icon in your system tray. Choose Launch AVG Control Center.

Highlight Scheduler, then click on Scheduled Tasks at the bottom of the page.

Double click "Test plan in basic mode", remove the checkmark from
"Periodically start scheduled antivirus test"

Click OK and close everything.

Since a daily scan will no longer run, you will have to start it manually.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:51 AM

If I remember correctly you can also set it to when you find it most convenient to scan. It is a while since I used AVG AntiVirus but I think I had it set to scan on a weekly basis at 0500 in the morning every Sunday.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:28 PM

To set AVG to scan at a time of your choosing follow the steps above, except when you highlight Test plan in basic mode, click on Edit Schedule.
Check Periodically start test, choose the time, click OK.

Thanks for the reminder about this function, bluesjunior. I'd forgotten about it because it's something I DON'T set up. I prefer to start the scan manually.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 February 2008 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users