Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium - Black Screen After Logon Delay In Desktop Appearence

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 akmark5000

akmark5000

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:02 PM

I recently bought a HP DV9548US Notebook running Windows Vista Home Premium. Lately, when I turn the computer on it takes about 30 seconds to get to the page where I choose my account and logon with a password. The strange part that is bothering me is that it takes about 1 minute to reach the actual desktop. I've seen similar posts, but not for my Vista version. So, I know there is probably something wrong, but not sure how to approach a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:29 AM

See if Vista Startup Repair can locate any issues: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 akmark5000

akmark5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

See if Vista Startup Repair can locate any issues: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

Ok, I read the tutorial and I have a question... is this "automatic repair" going to wipe out my personal files and programs? Example; I have a Admin account and a Akmark account, the akmark account is a regular account that I use for daily web surfing, games, etc. The Admin account is setup to share it's desktop shortcuts.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:43 AM

No, it will not delete your stuff. But be aware that you'll be making choices during this process - and if you make the wrong choice you could wipe out everything.

Particular care is required with Figure 3 - if you don't click "Repair your Computer" you could overwrite everything. So be sure to click on Repair your Computer and no other choice on that screen.

Also, the Windows Complete PC Restore can set your computer back to a time before you had installed your programs and data files - so be careful using that.

The point here is that anything that you do to your computer has the potential to corrupt stuff - so a good backup is necessary in case of a disaster. I've done several Startup Repairs at work and haven't lost any data yet - but that doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

Startup Repair is one of those things that "could" help you - but I suspect that it won't show much of a difference. It may even show that there aren't any issues that it can fix.

Which brings us to a discussion of the Windows Startup Cycle. If you instruct Windows to create a log of the boot process, you'll see that there's a bunch of stuff loading. What stuff is needed, and what stuff isn't? Well, that's a matter of breaking down the different areas of your computer to see what's starting with Windows.

Most often it's the startup items that are in the System Tray (aka the Notification Area) by the clock in the lower right corner of the screen. After that, there are other areas within Windows where programs can launch at startup, and after that, there's the services that launch at startup. Each individual entry doesn't usually take up that much of your resources when booting - but a whole bunch of them can, or a single one that's malfunctioning can.

For trimming the startups, I recommend that you use this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
And then compare the startup entries that you find with the Startup List at the top of the forums (link here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ ) Please be aware that certain startups can be either good or bad entries depending upon their location.

Please don't just start deleting stuff - as there is a chance that it may hose your computer and you may not be able to even boot up. If you have any questions about the startups, please post back here with the name and the Image Path and we'll do our best to help you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 rturner2

rturner2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:38 AM

Hi

When I tried to login with my account that was a member of Administrators, then I would only see a black screen with the cursor. I could press CTRL+ALT+DEL however, I couldn't load the Task Manager (other people that have posted on other internet forums could open Task Manager - therefore I couldn't manually start the Explorer). I could login to another account that was just a member of Users (that I had setup before all of this started happening).

I couldn't find a fix to my solution. It wasn't the video card, the hard drive was fine, system restore didn't help as a system repair didn't work also. Disabling or changing the UAC didn't work either.

All I ended up doing was logging in with the User profile, and then creating a new profile with Administrator priveleges (and deleting the original because I thought that their might be a virus or spyware etc although nothing showed up when I did multiple scans). The strange thing is, that this didn't work also! However, when I added Users to this profile also, then it worked.

Apparently, Vista needs access to Users to load the desktop. So, something is screwed up with my profile/security and adding the Users group manually was the only way I managed to get this working.

So, if anyone else is reading this post that has MY issue, all you have to do to get it working is login with your User profile and then add User profile to your Administrator profile and then try and login back using the Administrator account and it should work.

... perhaps my info helps someone...... because it took my 8 hours to figure this out and other posts didn't help me.

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:26 PM

rturner2,

I had a very similar issue several months back. I pulled my hair out in trying to fix it and finally found a solution. I had pretty much the same issue as yours, but in reverse. Admin accounts would log-on no problem, but Std accounts would not get past a black screen.

See my post here.

It is a fascinating topic, start to finish and one of the longest in the Vista forum. I found the solution at Post#91 :huh:

Go to this site for full instructions. You will need to download a small program from Microsoft called Subinacl and install it. Then, you need to copy the script that is listed and run it. It may take a while to run...don't worry if you see a few errors. The program will close on it's own.

Then, you will need to reboot. Then see if the problem goes away.

BUT, I would caution you to backup all your data first. Login to an account that gets you into Windows desktop and backup everything that is vital to you before you begin.

Backup your registry first before running the script with this fantastic tool. If anything goes wrong, you could restore the backup and go right back where you started.

Good luck. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users