Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Failure During Chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brntrgrobbins

brntrgrobbins

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and hope someone can help. I recently got spyware/virus on my computer. Tried everything. AVG, Norton, Acfee, Adware, and Spybot (not all at the same time). None of these seem to help. I turned off all but the necessary start up apps. It work during safe mode (so I could run AVG and Adaware which found nothing). I rebooted and when my computer tried to log in it immediately logged off. It does the same thing even in safe mode. I put in my XP disk to run chkdsk and had a power failure in the middle of it. My computer turned back on when the power returned and started chkdsk again. It is now stuck on "REPAIRING THE SECURITY FILE RECORD SEGMENT" "25 PERCENT COMPLETE". I let it stay on the screen thinking that it was doing it's thing. It has now been an hour and no change. I don't know what my next step should be. I've talked to computer support and no help from them. They had no clue what to do.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks in advance

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:06 PM

Do you have your windows installation disk available?
If you do, you could try building a BartPE disk on another machine.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
inside of BartPE, you can run chkdsk on the volume, even if the copy of chkdsk on the main part of the machine is damaged.

BartPE: A must for any technicians toolbox.

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 18 February 2008 - 04:12 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 brntrgrobbins

brntrgrobbins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

This computer is also connected to my network and has a second hard drive on it. I do have disks for XP. Since I'm connected to a network is there any way of getting my important files off of my computer? If I can recover that info I would be happy and have no problem reinstalling XP if that is my only option.

I have gotten back to the Windows Welcome Screen were it tries to log on and then logs off instantly. How can I check to see what is wrong? Or to back up my files? I can see my computer on the network. The only problem is that the folder I want to back up is not shared.

Edited by brntrgrobbins, 18 February 2008 - 04:58 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

I would think that the first priority...would be to determine that you are no longer infected.

<<None of these seem to help.>>

That sounds to me as if you haven't completed the most basic step...pretty alarming since you are connected to a network, I think.

Louis

#5 brntrgrobbins

brntrgrobbins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

I know for a fact that it didn't spread to any other computer and I would love to make sure that it is gone off my computer, but I need to be able to log into 1st.

Edited by brntrgrobbins, 18 February 2008 - 05:15 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:42 PM

OK, I understand now, my apologies :thumbsup:.

Chkdsk can get "stuck" on a given function...if the hard drive/file system is in real trouble.

Power failures are a common cause of corrupt files...corrupted files will not work properly in a system.

What I would probably do is just do a repair install of XP (takes 35 minutes), since that would replace ALL system files, including any which are corrupted/unuseable or missing.

All data files and installed programs remain on the system intact.

You would have to reinstall all critical updates issued since the version of XP contained on your CD, but I think that's a small price to pay to make a good attempt to get the system going.

When you do the repair install, please make sure that the XP firewall is active once it's settled. Before doing anything else.

TweakXP.com - How To Do a Repair Install of XP - http://www.tweakxp.com/article36955.aspx

Windows XP Professional Repair install from CD - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-C...n&id=817785

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2008 - 05:43 PM.

#7 brntrgrobbins

brntrgrobbins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

Now I'm repairing windows and it is hanging up when it is checking my drive. Does that mean I have a bigger problem in my hard drive? It has been on this screen and not moved or change the % status in 30 or so minutes. It is not installing it's just examining my drive.

Edited by brntrgrobbins, 18 February 2008 - 06:03 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

Not a good sign...the drive may be history. Chkdsk can usually find it's way through most situations.

I would physically disconnect...and reconnect the drive to the motherboard and power supply. Then I would take a look in the BIOS, to ensure that the drive is properly recognized there.

Can you access the BIOS? If so, see if the drive is properly recognized in the BIOS.

Then I would download a diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer's website and run the diagnostic (long) program only. I would not do a low-level format, a typical option of these programs.

Louis

#9 brntrgrobbins

brntrgrobbins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:51 PM

I can get to BIOS and it is running fine. I'm not sure who the drive manufacturer is.

I can get out of the repair (when it hangs up) and run it again but it seems to hang up on 56% of checking the c: drive and not run past that point. I can stilll get to the Windows Welcome screen if I don't boot from the CD and get the same log in problem as mentioned above.

Could it be that it is try to access my 2nd drive and hanging it up there?
Should I remove my 2nd drive it is removable?

I would love the take a hammer to this thing and scrap it, but I need the computer so that won't work either. I think for now I'm going to open a bottle of scotch and deal with it tomorrow. I've caused enough brain damnage today. :thumbsup:

I'm going to do some more research and see what else I can come up with. Please let me know if you can think of anything else and thank you for the input so far.

#10 brntrgrobbins

brntrgrobbins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

I found this

This is the same problem I'm having.

Now whenever I try logging on, it logs out immediately. Tried in Safe Mode but still the same.

I have other issues but cann't fix them until I fix this

#11 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

Well... that BartPe disk can allow you to try to recover some of your files, as it boots a full working Windows XP installation from the CD. If you're really desperate, this program has gotten me out of a few sticky situations. Beyond that, I know not much more.

Good luck!
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#12 brntrgrobbins

brntrgrobbins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

I think I have bigger problems. I believe my hard drive is toast. No matter what I do everything hangs up at the same point when it tries to check my disk. Some how I believe I have a bad sector in my drive from when my power went out during chkdsk. I've tried repairing, recovery, reinstall, all but reformat. I'm going to was this drive as a slave drive on another computer to slavage some info that was not backed up since my last back up. Unless someone has anyother suggestions.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

Some time ago...it was suggested that you run a diagnostic on the drive...obtained from the hard drive manufacturer's website.

It might have led to the same conclusion that you are now reaching.

In any case, it's always better to verify lucky guesses...with something more substantial, IMO.

Bad sectors are normal for hard drives, it takes more than one to seriously erode the ability of a drive to function.

Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1583&page=3

http://www.tech-faq.com/bad-sector.shtml

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users