Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smiley Face On Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Docharmony58

Docharmony58

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

Hello, When trying to boot to Windows XP Pro, my computer shows the initial post screen and then it goes to a black screen with a backwards scrolling cursor line on the bottom, which ends up with a single smiley face character that looks a little like a ghost on Pacman... I have tried every kind of scan I know including Norton AV 2008, Anti-rootkits, SpyBot, Ad-Aware..etc. I can boot my computer using an XP startup disk. I have run all scans both in Windows and in Safe mode. I cannot find the thing that is causing my computer to not boot, and cannot find anything online about the smiley face thing.... Please help. Thank you.
Captain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:59 AM

Hello Docharmony58 and welcome to BC :flowers:

Are you able to get into Safe Mode?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Docharmony58

Docharmony58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:11 AM

Yes, I can get in Safe Mode using a xp start up disk. I have run every scan I know in Safe Mode.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

Did those scans find anything? If so, what?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Docharmony58

Docharmony58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:09 PM

The scans did not find anything. That is why I am so puzzled. I even tried to do a repair install of Windows XP Pro and it would hang at the Windows Setup screen. This is insane.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:19 PM

Do you have any removable media inserted when this occurs? I read a complaint of a smiliar issue last year where the OP said it was related to his usb stick. When unplugged the smiley face did not show up.

Could also be a Bios/MB issue as discussed here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Docharmony58

Docharmony58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

I was able to remove this problem using a program called SmitFraud remover... thanks for your help...

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:14 PM

I'm glad to hear the smiley face issue has been resolved.

SmitfraudFix is a specialized tool created by S!Ri to remove SmitFraud infections. Smitfraud is a generic description for a family of rogue applications/trojans such as Win32.Zlob that uses misleading advertising, downloads rogue security products, changes (hijacks) the Windows Desktop and drops additional malware infected files. Some variants of smitfraud may even drop a rootkit. The Trojan uses bogus security warnings and fake alerts to indicate that your computer is infected with spyware or has critical errors. SmitFraud is responsible for downloading and installing programs that purport to scan for spyware and then uses false scan reports as a scare tactic to goad you into purchasing one of several rogue programs to fix it.

The symptoms you described were not indicative of such an infection. Can you post the log report which can be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt.

#9 ChrisHarding

ChrisHarding

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:58 AM

Hello, When trying to boot to Windows XP Pro, my computer shows the initial post screen and then it goes to a black screen with a backwards scrolling cursor line on the bottom, which ends up with a single smiley face character that looks a little like a ghost on Pacman... I have tried every kind of scan I know including Norton AV 2008, Anti-rootkits, SpyBot, Ad-Aware..etc. I can boot my computer using an XP startup disk. I have run all scans both in Windows and in Safe mode. I cannot find the thing that is causing my computer to not boot, and cannot find anything online about the smiley face thing.... Please help. Thank you.
Captain

If you have a Intel motherboard it will be a bios hardware issue find your motherboard by boardid from intel then search drivers and software with your motherboard name then download the .exe version for easy install and will automactically reboot and flash and you will be able to change boot options without I lovly small white similey face (kind a pacman shaped) in top left courner on every boot

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

Hello ChrisHarding and welcome to BC

You have replied to a topic which is over 4 years old. The original poster's issue was related to an old SmitFraud infection which has not been seen in years. If you experienced a similar issue more recently, then most likely SmitFraud was not a factor and it may have been a bios hardware issue as you described. Thanks for the info.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users