Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Buttinredirect/files Search Screens

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vintage Man

Vintage Man

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this topic.If wrong please redirect. Thanks
I have a Compaq/HP Media Center computer w/2 GB hard drive, and 100mg RAM Windows XP Home/ SP2 with latest updates. I had Notron security suite but after it lapsed I uinstalled the program with the add/remove function, and installed AVAST antivirus, and activated the Windows Defender feature. Shortly after all this I started to get a "Compaq buttonredirect" screen which wanted me to program the buttons on my keyboard. This screen would override whatever I was doing at the time. The screen would change sizes, and locations on the desktop making it hard to close, and would sometimes go to a tab entry where I would have to click to close it, or it sometimes would let me close by Clicking the red close X upper right of window. But it still came right back even after I closed it. And to add insult to injury a "find files" screen would sometimes appear along with or seperately from the buttonredirect screen. I have SpyBot installed and it tells me all is well. AVAST shows no problem, and Windows Defender (Firewall) does not show a problem. I have AutoRun also and cannot find this program/file to remove. I tried to use system restore but to no avail, still have the problem. I really don't want to use a destructive restore and reformat my computer as I have many programs I don't want to lose. :thumbsup:

HELP...any help would be welcome....

Vintage Man

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

Hello Vintage Man,

Does the screen in question occur when using the internet? Does it pop-up using a browser window?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Vintage Man

Vintage Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:10 PM

Hi Orange Blossom,

The buttonredirect screen MOSTLY occures when I am on the Internet, but ocassionally when I am off line. The file search screen shows up regardless if I am on the 'Net' or off-line. I tried to track down all the Symantec files but am not sure if I got them all or not, or if they even could have a part in this.

Vintage Man

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:29 PM

From what I gathered so far on searching is it has more to do with an unwanted application than an application from HP. I'd try posting HEREand see what they say. I'll look into it a little more
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Vintage Man

Vintage Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

Hi Garmanma,

Thanks for your response. I will post on the other forum. It is frustrating, and I don't think it is a virus but rather a program that HP put in the box and I don't know how to disable it. The trouble with using Ccleaner/Autorun, etc is that I don't understand which programs are which as I am not a computer guy. So I am at a loss what to do.
Anyway I want to thank you, and Orange Blossom for trying to help.

Vintage Man

PS: It is sure hard to catch up on all this computer stuff after 3/4 of a century without it! :thumbsup:

Edited by Vintage Man, 18 February 2008 - 09:04 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

I'll look some more today
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hello Vintage Man,

Now that you have created a Topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum, I am going to close this topic to avoid confusion.

If at a later date, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users