Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

firewall question?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:48 PM

im just starting out and am studying your firewall tutorial. im currently using norton personal firewall on my presario. i have windows xp and signed up with verizon to provide dsl service. my pc is connected to a westfall versalink model 327w

question; are these routers a type of hardware firewall?
do they provide any protection?
are they stealthy?
is it simply a connection?

thanx

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY HERK

THIS IS THE WRONG TOPIC FOR THIS POST
I HAVE RE-POSTED AT SECURITY FORUM
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY HERE THANK YOU

Edited by igonuts2, 12 March 2005 - 01:45 AM.

Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:53 PM

If I understand it all correctly, your router is/contains a NAT (Network Address Translation) firewall, which essentially accepts only packets in response to something you've requested. So, yes, it's a firewall. In addition, I believe your particular router has a built-in software firewall which can be configured by going to the modem's address (check your documentation - something like Linksys' 192.168.1.1, though yours will probably be different)

Some say that using the software firewall within the router will mess up the functionality - resetting the router or some such. It's not a bad idea to have a software firewall on your computer, such as Zone Alarm, which won't mess with your router, because the NAT firewall will protect from port searches but won't protect from junk in your computer trying to communicate with the net. The NAT firewall sees that as normal traffic. Zone Alarm protects from outside hits as well as inside hits.

Edited to add: sorry, while I was looking for info, I forgot you mentioning the Norton firewall. Just ignore the Zone Alarm part - others may benefit from it.

Edited by Herk, 11 March 2005 - 11:55 PM.

#3 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 02:43 PM

thanks HERK, that did answer my question.
Why work when you can play!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users