Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitors Work And Then They Don't?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JennM

JennM

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what the problem is or may be with a monitor that works and then doesn't. Some brief history relating to this issue:

Worked on my step-niece's computer updating drivers and whatnot, installing MS Office - plugged in, hooked up, all was well.

My sister put the tower back into her car when I decided to also give my niece a printer. Tower was brought back in so I could show my sister how to hook it up. Well at this time the monitor would not come on. It went from a green power light to amber on the monitor and then nothing. I had issues with this particular monitor (CRT) before so I figured that was it. Plugged in my flat panel and still nothing. I again figured it was not an issue and that the flat panel was just not compatible.

My sister took the computer and printer home, hooked the monitor up that she has for the computer and no problems! So I think I was right and think nothing more about it.

My sister takes the computer to her step daughter's house and hooks everything all up - nothing! Monitor again doesn't come on. Goes and gets another monitor and still nothing.

So... what in the world could be the problem? Now before the computer was brought to my house my nieces had it hooked up at home and it worked there also. The only reason my sister brought it here is because she is not computer savvy and could not get the programs installed that my niece needs. Could moving it around so much affect the monitor not coming on??

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Jenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

If it has an add-on video card it might have gotten knocked loose while transporting th computer. You might want to take the side off and reseat the video card

Edited by garmanma, 18 February 2008 - 02:11 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 JennM

JennM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

Thank you for replying. I'm not sure though how I would recognize the video card? The most I have done /inside/ of a computer is to install a wireless network adapter. Everything in there pretty much intimidates me. Would the video card be in a PCI slot?

Thanks,
Jenn

#4 JennM

JennM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:28 PM

By the way, if it matters, this is an old Dell that was thrown together just for my niece to use for school. When I had it here I wrote down the system specs - It's a Dell (no clue of model #) Pentium II with Windows 98 SE 4.10 with 256MB Ram. Also after the Pentium info I have made a note that it says R-2.

Thanks again,
Jenn

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

Thank you for replying. I'm not sure though how I would recognize the video card? The most I have done /inside/ of a computer is to install a wireless network adapter. Everything in there pretty much intimidates me. Would the video card be in a PCI slot?

Thanks,
Jenn

No difference. With the side off, look at the back of the unit to see the location of the monitor plug and follow it inside and see if it lines up with a card. If it goes through the back and into the motherboard, then it is onboard video
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 JennM

JennM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

Ok I'll have a look. Computers... what a pain in the neck they can be. Maybe I'll just have her bounce it around a bit first and see if it fixes itself, lol. Just kidding :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

Jenn

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:02 PM

:huh: :thumbsup: :huh:
Mark
Posted Image

#8 JennM

JennM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hey, I'm back. The computer is at my house again and guess what? Monitor is not working again. I just had the monitor on two other computers so that is not the issue. Took side off and looked at video card. Not sure what it is I'm looking for here but it seems to be in there. I can't jiggle it so I assume that it is securely seated.

Any ideas??

Jenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users