Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Attempts To Start Up & Then Shuts Downs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slnewport

slnewport

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hi,

When I turn my computer on it takes me to the screen that says "Please wait..." then it says "configuring updates".....then "shutting down"....once it shuts down it starts the entire sequence over again and keeps repeating this loop. In order to shut it down completely I have to hold down the power button manually for several seconds.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you,
Stephanie :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slnewport

slnewport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

Does anyone have any ideas to correct this??

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:28 AM

Try using your Vista DVD and run Startup Repair: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:49 AM

Slnewport,
I'm sorry to say that this is bad news. :huh:

This is a BUG in the update you installed...and it's reported all over the newsgroups.

See this link: http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/20/...;cgd=2008-02-20

In the meantime, do you have an image of your OS partition before the updates were installed (say prior to Feb. 12th)? If so, try restoring the image by booting into your recover media (eg: Norton Ghost or Acronis TI boot CD). If not, use the Vista DVD, boot from that and do a system restore to before Feb. 12th.

So far, I think that's the only workaround until MS$ works through this mess.

Cheers.

#5 eastbrown

eastbrown

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

Yup it happened to me. A screwed update from M$.

#6 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

I intern at a computer shop and one of the workers found out how to fix that. I forget what he did but if i remember ill ask of Monday.
He said it was easy to fix. He had to delete one file that told it not to do that one update on boot. then it works fine.

#7 mgm

mgm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

I'm in the same boat w/ the ongoing 'loop' Configuring Updates Stage 3 of 3. It started on March 29th (last Sunday). I've done everything...from all the safemodes: command prompt to networking to start windows normally. Also Launch start-up Repair (recommended). Totally nada/zilch/zero/zip/nothing.
Waiting patiently for hopeful remedy. mgm

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420/windows VISTA home premium and thinking I'm not liking it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users