Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logged In As Administrator But I Have To Keep Logging In?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tradesman

Tradesman

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

I am using windows vista business on a new dell laptop.

I am set up on a network, I have gone to user accounts within control panel and I am logged in as an administrator.

However I have to log in as administrator if I want to load new programmes,delete certain things off the desktop. I cant for instance run adaware as it tells me i am not logged in as administrator???

What is going on??? Ive searched the windows web site and I cant find anything-

any ideas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

Did you set a password for yourself as Administrator? What happens when you right click an application and choose to "Run as Administrator"?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Tradesman

Tradesman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:35 AM

I have to log in as administrator-i havent tried right clicking

#4 Tradesman

Tradesman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

This is acting strange as it wont let me run ad aware as Im not the administrator- how do I check if I am the administartor?? I have gont to user accounts-perhaps I shoudl retry or is it as the laptop was set up as part of a network- the administrator passwords are the networks apsswords-perhaps I should set some for the laptop?????

#5 Tradesman

Tradesman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:23 AM

any new ideas out there????

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:16 AM

What kind of network are you on? Does it require you to logon to the network (rather than just onto the local computer).

Have you checked in Control Panel...Add/Remove a User account to see if your account is a Standard User or a Computer Administrator?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Tradesman

Tradesman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:40 AM

IUm on microsoft small business server, bizarrely Im also having these issues ;

when I try to load software etc I still have to log on use the administrators password-this is frustrating.

I think you are looking for a cure for us-the main pain is that I am not allowed to upgrade software as it claims I require administrators priveleges.

This means my software will be out of date?

I also still have to accept any time I launch microsoft programmes such as outlook or exel.

And to cap it all!!!

everytime I switch on it says that microsoft small business server has an issue - and do i wan tot search for a solution-if I do it cant find one so now I just ask it to run anyway-

Im unsure what to do-perhaps I should make a new user log in??

the server side is XP im running vista business-maybe this is the conflict????

#8 Tradesman

Tradesman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:42 AM

As an example- Ive downloaded adaware 2007.

I right click and run as administrator

I try to update my definitions ( it does let me get that far) but then would not upgrade as im not logged in as administrator???

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:18 AM

I think that there are issues with the SBS and it's policies. Unfortunately, I have virtually no experience with SBS.
Do the problems occur on both the XP and Vista systems? If so, I'd suspect the SBS has some policy in effect that does this. I consult with the network administrator. If you are the administrator, then I'd suggest getting the vendor who sold you this system involved (I've had good experience with an HP tech support representative for server issues).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Tradesman

Tradesman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:25 AM

thanks I have called them in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users