Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Must Reinstall Printer Everytime We Use It

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nasty

nasty

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:00 AM

We're having this problem using my wife's hpc5280 all-in-one printer on her hp laptop. She shares this printer with her desktop computer as well, therefore she disconnects the usb cable frequently. When she comes back to the laptop & plugs in the usb cable, the message pops up either saying there is no printer installed or will begin to download the printer all over again.

When I go to Control panel then printers, the printer isn't even listed.
What's up with this.

Thanks, Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:25 AM

It would not be necessary to plug/unplug...if the laptop and desktop were part of a home network and the printer were a shared device.

No device is listed as part of the computer...when it is unplugged/disconnected. That's just the way Windows works.

Louis

#3 nasty

nasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

The printer is not wireless so I have to plug the laptop in with the usb cable.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

When I go to Control panel then printers, the printer isn't even listed.
Thanks, Paul

Has the software that's on the install CD ever been installed on the laptop? If yes, I would remove it in Add/Remove Programs. I would then download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Check any box that has HP in it and run it. Then reinstall the software.
If your laptop is connected to the internet through a router with your desktop, you can turn on printer sharing and you wouldn't have to unplug it all the time. The software has to be on both machines and your firewalls have to be configured
http://www.microsoft.com
http://www.microsoft.com #2
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

I don't understand that comment about the printer being wireless...at all.

That has nothing to do with anything.

A shared device on a network...appears as a shared device...regardless of wire/wireless connection.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users