Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sevenunder29

sevenunder29

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:08 AM

I have a Dell Dimension E521 computer with Norton 2008 antivirus. I use Internet explorer. My internet provider is Verizon DSL. I have a standard Westell Model 6100 modem that came with the Verizon setup. Verizon has told me conclusively, that the internet line to my house is sending a strong and good signal.

Background: My computer was not working proplerly (tons of popups). I took it in to get serviced and there were 8 viruses on it. At the time I was using McAfee antivirus. Had all the crap removed from the computer (viruses and trojans). Also had the new Norton Antiviurs 2008 installed. Now... since I had my computer returned to me from the repairman (about 2 weeks and counting) I haved the worst time with my DSL internet connection. It doesn't stay connected. I ALWAYS have to power down the modem and restart my computer (it seems like every 5 minutes). I talked to Verizon... they are no help mainly because their technicians don't know anymore than I do(not to mention it takes 10 minutes to actually talk to someone) I get the 'try this, try that' crap.

Also.. I do have vonage which runs off the same line. Now, I mention this because and only because the Verizon people tell me Vonage is the problem. I don't buy this. My Vonage phone connection and my DSL connection were fine BEFORE I took my computer in to get it cleaned. The Verizon people tell me that I have a 'data' line connection whereas before with my phone from Verizon I had a 'voice over data line' connection. In my opinion... this is a bunch of BULL#$%^!!! None of the 'hardware' to my computer has changed. Now... my internet connection is terrible and obviously with no internet connection I have no phone connection.

My modem lights (internet, dsl, ethernet) are never working properly. I was told when the internet connection is good the 'internet' and 'ethernet' light should flicker and the 'dsl' light should stay solid. Mine... well, the 'internet' light and the 'ethernet' light are solid and the 'dsl' light flickers. Or worse yet.. the internet light is red which I'm assuming means.. no connection.

Is it possible when these computer technicians that remove viruses and trojans that the cleansing of the computer can actually 'screw' up my internet connection???

I need help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:49 AM

I'm not sure if your PC status will affect how your modem runs. But, I have had similar difficulties - it was due to static buildup on the phone line.
If this is the same problem that you are having, here is a simple fix:* Turn off and unplug all appliances and equipment that also use phone line (eg modem, fax, phones). Also disconnect the phone cords from their wall sockets.
* Wait at least five minutes.
* Now plug everything back in, and reconnect the phone cords.
* Turn on your appliances and equipment - remember that there is a specific boot order for network equipment:1. turn on modem and wait until solid connection light
2. turn on router (if applicable) and wait until its boot sequence completes
3. turn on any other hubs/switches connected to the router (if applicable)
4. turn on any computers
[/list]

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hello sevenunder29,

Did you follow the instructions set out in your topic Popups, Popups, And More Popups? Or is this when you took your PC to the tech.

As we don't know what method was used to remove the infection from your OS, try WinSock Xp Fix .
It can cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or modifications of the Winsock settings.
Sometimes your Internet connectivity will get corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries.

Or you can try WinSock 2 Fix, if that fix didn't work .When you run it, click on ReG-Backup button first to backup the registry, and then click on the Fix button.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 sevenunder29

sevenunder29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

I did the 'turn off the machine and unplug all the outlets' verbatim exactly how you suggested..... didn't work.

Getting really fustrated with the Verizon DSL connection. I even tried to 'uninstall' Verizon DSL and reinstall it but I was unable to do that as well (which was really puzzling to me). I uninstalled everything (or at least I thought I uninstalled all the Verizon components) and when I was done, I could access the internet without reinstalling the software.

I most likely will go back to dial up connection.

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

If you can get your hands on a router, you can configure it to connect you to Verizon, without the need for that software. I thought Verizon gave routers to its customers, or is that no longer the case?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

Verizon does give the modems out. 6100 for DSL has been in use for couple of years now.
They also give you some software to diagnose network problems, a laughable concept :thumbsup: how can you diagnose if you can't connect.
That software is not needed. Ever. Go to Admin tools, and remove it, and reboot.

Verizon's claim that the signal is good is likely correct, normally it's excellent.
BUT that does not mean you're OK.
For instance, have you moved? Are you renting? Have you tried every phone socket in the house?
Is the line which THEY think you're using, the same line YOU are using (I know a relative who plugged in the modem into a socket which was actually a different phone# and a wrong one at that, took'm forever to diagnose that one)

Often loss of connection is due to the firewalls not correctly configured, check Norton instructions to permit access to that modem which should be your DHCP server (assuming Norton AV includes firewall)
It can also be due to the misconfiguration of the modem itself. That modem is a NAT modem.
In the modem itself, have you set it up to be the DHCP server? Does it display Verizon DNS addresses?
Copy all that data into Norton's firewall (if such exists). Allow all that. Don't block it. BTW, Does Norton detect a valid network or does it detect 169.x.x.x etc. (169.x.x.x is DEAD)

To get to the modem, 192.168.1.1 address should do it via your browser.
Is the modem connecting? If I recall, one of the tabs displays the connection status.

You can always recheck and match the values using the command window, as it could be diagnostic:
Start > Run > type in "cmd" no quotes
On the black window type "ipconfig /all" no quotes, space before the /
Do you have address other than 169.x.x.x
Does it say DHCP and DNS are automatically configured (that's the normal. default Windows setup)
Are Verizon DNSs there (ususally 71.x.x.x or 155.x.x.x, again I don't recall)

Am I understanding correctly that you do get a connection and then it stops?

Edited by tos226, 20 February 2008 - 01:35 PM.

#7 sevenunder29

sevenunder29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

To: toss226

Yes... I get a connection.... then it stops (I only assume it stops because the webpage will stop loading and the lights on my modem stop blinking the correct way as per the way Verizon says) then after a few moments (sometimes a minute sometimes I have to reboot the modem by shutting it off) it will 'kick' in again the and the page will continue to load. All the while... I get no phone connection because I use Vonage.

I will try to configure the Norton Anti Virus like you instructed.

Thank you

#8 sevenunder29

sevenunder29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:05 AM

To: tos226

I couldn't adjust Norton Firewall settings. The software will not let me do that through windows (to the best of my knowledge).

Host name DL4784C1
Primary DNS Suffix
Node Type unknown
IP Routing Enabled NO
WINS Proxy Enabled NO

DHCP is enabled
Autoconfiguration is enabled
IP address 192.168.15.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.15.1
DHCP Server 192.168.15.1
DNS Server 192.168.15.1

This is 'Japanese' to me, maybe it makes sense to you.

Again... thanks for any help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users