Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grahics Card And Wireless Card Not Cooperating Correctly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bradlp

bradlp

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:22 AM

Hi guys this is my first post, my name is Brad

I have an HP Pavilion 513w with a Pentium 4 2.0ghz processor. My motherboard, according to cpu-z, is Intel NBGC - Northwook/Brookdale G Validation / chipset is i845L, and has 3 PCI slots only, no AGP, and no PCI-E. 1GB (2x512) of PC2700 RAM. It is running Vista Ultimate just fine. My problem is, when I try to use my PNY GeForce FX 5200 video card (PCI) along side my Linksys WMP54G wireless desktop card, also (PCI), only the video works, the wireless card does not pick up the signal. Now, when I take the video card out and use the on-board graphics the wireless card works just fine. All drivers for my PC are up to date, seeing as I use Driver Genius Pro. I even downloaded the drivers directly from the manufacturer's website. The power supply I am using is 250w, I know that is the minimum PNY requires, but that should be sufficient enough, I would think, to power just a HD, video card, wireless card, and CPU fan. I unhooked the optical drives, thinking maybe if the power supply didn't have to run those it would have more for the VC and the WC. I am absolutely dumbfounded, and don't know any more things to try. Any help, or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:13 AM

Is the video in the top pci slot? If so, have you tried the wireless in both of the other slots? Is bios set for plug and pray?

since you are using a pci video and an agp onboard then both should be working at the same time and that's possibly a resource problem?

Edited by DaChew, 18 February 2008 - 08:16 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 bradlp

bradlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:43 AM

I actually have already tried to switch them around in different slots... no change. Bios is set for plug and play. I don't have agp, only 3 PCI slots, and on-board integrated video. What exactly does a resource problem mean?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:51 AM

I don't have agp,
you have it, it's in your northbridge chipset, they just left off the slot for adding a card
the onboard(also in the northbridge) had to have agp for any kind of performance

resource problem is similar to taking a shower and flushing a few toilets at the same time

is there a setting to adjust the shared memory for the onboard?

a memory address setting?

the onboard is still active in device manager? the wireless drivers may not be plug and play and don't want to share irq's

usb adapters are better at sharing, the usb and agp bus were designed to run hand and hand from the northbridge, they do better together

you might try the pci card in the top slot with wireless card removed

go into device manager and disable onboard video(this is dangerous) you would have to turn it back on before removing pci video card

power down and add the wireless card

first turn off anything in bios that you don't use like serial ports/parrallel, midi, gameport etc

Edited by DaChew, 19 February 2008 - 07:16 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users