Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Data From Pc Hard Drive & Transfer To External Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzzy Dad

Fuzzy Dad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:51 AM

I cannot remove the data from my PC Hard Drive with a transfer of the data to a Western Digital 160 GB My Book USB 2.0 External Hard Drive. My PC has Windows XP sp2 and is extremely slow because the HD is totally filled. Memory is 512 mb.
Is there a procedure to remove the data from my PC Hard Drive and simultaneuosly transferring the data to the External HD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:26 AM

You can try these to get some breathing room:

a. Run Disk Cleanup, http://www.udel.edu/topics/virus/security/diskcleanup.html

b. Temporarily turn off System Restore, if you use it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

c. Delete hiberfil.sys file and turn off hibernation...and reduce the size of the pagefile, http://www.cknow.com/faqs/What/HIBERFIL.SY...PAGEFIL.SY.html

You can also tell us what is the stated capacity of your current overloaded hard drive...and how much free space it has right now.

Louis

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

Are you copying or moving the data?

My procedure is to copy the data over first. Then check the external drive to make sure it's actually on there. Double, sometimes triple check, to make sure that everything I want moved has been.
If all is well on the external, delete the files from the computer hard drive.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 February 2008 - 09:52 AM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

I wasted 2 hours because my daughter filled a drive completely up and when I went to copy it to a drive in her new computer it kept crashing. Believe it or not, it all came down to one mp3 that was so fragmented it gave a crc error. This was a data partition. I had to do the transfer one folder at a time in smaller parts.

Edited by DaChew, 18 February 2008 - 10:36 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users