Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Fdisk Now Stalls Searching For Boot Record

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samlf3rd

samlf3rd

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:36 AM

I was talked into running FDISK because my computer kept saying you must reinstall windows, to sya the least it didn't really help out. In fdisk I said yes to the large disk, and here is where I believe things went wrong, I deleted the partition(the only one running) and it told me to restart the computer to continue the fdisk process so I did and now I can only access bios, the cp get as far as the window with the math processor an Main processor, my primary master(cyl39770) and at the bottom is says
"searching for Boot Record from CDROM..not found--------although I have tried every boot disk the net has to offer
searching for Boot Record from IDE-0..ok and then it stalls. Any ideas? I have tried restaring the computer with every windows 98 bootdisk and I never get a different reaction out of the computer. I cannot get into my desktop, command prompt doesn't even work, all I can access is BIOS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

del

Edited by DaChew, 18 February 2008 - 11:36 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:40 AM

So what can I do in BIOS to get the system to respond to a bootdisk? What is my next step to get this thing up and running?

#4 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

I have windows 98 boot disk, windows 98 installtaion(which I though would work once I ran Fdisk) and dos bootdisk. Nothing is working. Is there a way to access fdisk from bios? I'm totally stumped any help on what I can do in bios would be great, I went into bios and made cdrom 1st boot, second boot is IDE-0.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221829

or

http://www.google.com/answers/threadview?id=6144
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:54 AM

This is a duplicate thread of another problem
Set the boot sequence in the bios to floppy first cd second hard drive third. Save & exit
98 Second edition cd's are bootable. Others are not

Read the other thread for correct fdisk proceedure for drives > 64 gig & post back there for continuity
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users