Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Recognize New Burner

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tbrink

tbrink

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

I am trying to install a new DVD Burner (LG GSA-H54L) to replace an older slower one, however the computer does not recognize it. The configuration for the 2 drives bundled with my Gateway had both jumpers set @ 'Cable Select', I tried keeping that configuration on the new burner with no success. I also have tried setting the new burner to 'Master' and the already installed ROM as 'Slave' in addition to flip flopping the configuration with the new burner as 'Slave' and the bundled drive as 'Master'.
What happens is when I boot the computer, the green light for both drives will come on and flash checking the drives for discs, then new LG will stop flashing it's light. I have tried opening the tray at this stage when the burner is obviously getting power but the tray will not open. By the time I get to my desktop any signs of life in the new burner are completely gone.
I have used the device manger and look for new hardware functions to no avail. I have as far as I know looked in every possible way for this Burner but XP simply does not recognize. All the cables are properly installed and obviously it is getting power at boot up, what do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:55 AM

If the drive is connected properly it should show at post(you might have to disable a splash screen to see it), and it should be seen in bios

the new dvd burners don't like the old CS or old cables, I only use a 80 conductor with the drive jumpered master at the end of the cable

many are now dma 4 and need the new cable

it's quite possible the drive is what we call DOA(dead on arrival)

leave the old rom drive disconnected for testing

Edited by DaChew, 18 February 2008 - 12:57 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 tbrink

tbrink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:34 AM

DaChew,
Thank you for taking time to respond.
Not knowing anything about 80 conductor wire or even 40 conductor wire I did some research and found this in an article about 80 conductor wire:

Aside from the above, the cable can be treated the same way as a 40-conductor cable. Since it is of higher quality, it can be used in place of a 40-conductor cable in older systems without any issues. However, it does not directly replace a 40-conductor cable select cable. Note also that the 18" length restriction associated with the original 40-conductor cable applies to this variation as well.

from which I linked to this article:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_CS.htm

It seems as though based on the factory configuration (both bundled drives had their jumpers in 'cable select'), that there is probably 40 conductor 'cable select cable' connecting all the drives, which means I need to read more and figure out what to do. I may need a new cable (which may or may not fix the problem , since my pattern of usage may have set the configuration of master/slave.
pandora's box

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:03 AM

well that's what I get for quoting that guide too much, he's reworded it and toned it down a little

bios shouldn't have any setting for cs vs master/slave

is the drive seen in bios or post under any of the configurations you have tried?

that's the first step in analyzing this problem

if not then check the drive in a newer computer

you don't have to permanently mount it, just connect it up
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users