Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Luffy-kun

Luffy-kun

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:22 PM

Lately, I've been having trouble with my computer's internet connection. Every time I connect to it, it works for a while, but then it disconnects automatically. Afterwards, I try to re-connect again, but most of the time I am unable to do so. At the time in which this was happening I was listening to music on Windows Media Player, and I noticed that the track skipped around a bit. I don't know if this is related to the problem, but a bit of information never hurt anybody, right?

I really haven't tried to do anything about it because I really don't have any idea of where to begin.

I hope that someone will be able to help me. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Luffy-kun, 17 February 2008 - 11:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:41 AM

Mind posting just a little more information?

1. The make/model of your computer.
2. The makes/models of your network hardware (router, modem) if any.
3. Is this a wireless or wired connection. If wireless, have you tried the wired method.
4. If wireless, whether or not you have tried connecting at any other location (don't worry if you haven't)
5. What are the connection specs? To find out, do the following:
  • Click Start -> Run
  • Type cmd in the textbox
  • At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all and hit enter
  • Right-click the titlebar of the command window and select properties
  • Under the options tab, make sure Quick Edit Mode is selected
  • Now highlight the results and right-click to copy it to the clipboard, and paste the results in your next post.

Edited by jhsmurray, 18 February 2008 - 02:46 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 Luffy-kun

Luffy-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

Sorry about that.

All the information I was able to pull off the computer are on the attachments. However, I am rather clueless as to what's what. So...sorry. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Attached Files

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:15 AM

Hi Luffy-kun, Welcome to BC,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting connected to the Internet. Have you tried contacting your ISP's Tech people to help you get your problem resolved?

Oh and when you put something on here, like what jhsmurray requested from you, you should do the copy paste thing so that it's showing up in plain sight because most people aren't gonna download and open any attachments to see whats going on in them.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:30 AM

You have still not answered questions 1-4 of jhsmurray's response to your issue, please answer those questions.

I also have some questions for you to answer...
- According to your attachments, it seems you have a wired connection, is this correct?
- When did this issue arise? Any major changes to your computer around that time?
- Do you have the most recent drivers installed for your network adapter?
- Does it disconnect at the same time every time? For example, does it disconnect one hour after you connect? Two hours? etc....
- Or is it random? You could stay connected for 3 days, next time it will stay connected for a few minutes, then the next time a few hours, etc...
- What steps must you take in order to re-connect to the network? (disable/enable the connection, reboot computer, etc...)

Since your ipconfig log states "media disconnected" it seems that you are not able to connect at all to your modem/router. Check the cable.
If you are using a router, try just plugging your modem directly into the computer and see what the ipconfig /all states after that.
Also, check to see if another computer can connect to the modem/router

Edited by lowtek_otc, 19 February 2008 - 01:31 AM.

#6 Luffy-kun

Luffy-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

Again, sorry. I'm kinda clueless about all this sometimes.

Mind posting just a little more information?

1. The make/model of your computer. e-machines
2. The makes/models of your network hardware (router, modem) if any. I do not know
3. Is this a wireless or wired connection. wired
4. If wired, whether or not you have tried connecting at any other location. Yes

You have still not answered questions 1-4 of jhsmurray's response to your issue, please answer those questions.

I also have some questions for you to answer...
- According to your attachments, it seems you have a wired connection, is this correct? I would think so
- When did this issue arise? Any major changes to your computer around that time? About a month ago. No
- Do you have the most recent drivers installed for your network adapter? I don't know
- Does it disconnect at the same time every time? For example, does it disconnect one hour after you connect? Two hours? etc.... It varies, but it's less than an hour.
- Or is it random? You could stay connected for 3 days, next time it will stay connected for a few minutes, then the next time a few hours, etc... It last for just a few minutes.
- What steps must you take in order to re-connect to the network? (disable/enable the connection, reboot computer, etc...) Reboot the computer

Since your ipconfig log states "media disconnected" it seems that you are not able to connect at all to your modem/router. Check the cable.
If you are using a router, try just plugging your modem directly into the computer and see what the ipconfig /all states after that.
Also, check to see if another computer can connect to the modem/router I don't have a router, and I am currently using my friend's laptop with my current internet connection, so the problem lies within the computer.

Edited by Luffy-kun, 19 February 2008 - 08:24 PM.

#7 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

I'm wondering if your router is acting as a DHCP server, and your computer is not configured for it? (DHCP is a method by which your IP address is automatically managed by your router - it's usually the simplest setup).

Try this and post the results:
Click Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections
Now right-click the network connection and select Properties
Select the General tab and highlight Internet Protocol (also, make sure it is checked). Now click the Properties button.
In the popup, take note of the information there for future use.
If Obtain an IP address automatically is not checked, check it. Hit Ok twice.
If you needed to check the automatic IP address option, reboot the PC and see if there is any change.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#8 Luffy-kun

Luffy-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

I tried that, but nothing changed. :thumbsup:

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:18 AM

Could you run the ipconfig /all scan again while your friends computer is plugged into your hard drive, and post the results here?

Follow the instructions jhsmurray had provided:
* Click Start -> Run
* Type cmd in the textbox
* At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all and hit enter
* Right-click the titlebar of the command window and select properties
* Under the options tab, make sure Quick Edit Mode is selected
* Now highlight the results and right-click to copy it to the clipboard, and paste the results in your next post.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:04 AM

I don't have a router, and I am currently using my friend's laptop with my current internet connection, so the problem lies within the computer.

Ok, well that is a big step out of the way as far as troubleshooting, thank you for clarifying.

You said that you have an emachines pc, what is the model number? I would suggest getting the most up to date drivers for your network interface card.

And do not forget to respond to Tmack's post above me as well since that is an important aspect as well.

Edited by lowtek_otc, 20 February 2008 - 05:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users