Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have A Problem Uninstalling My Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 onlinemadness

onlinemadness

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:47 PM

I am using AVG antivirus and Ad Aware antispyware, but lately i haven't been ab;e to do any updates on either one of those programs. Every time they updating process begins,it's interrupted by a messasging saying that it has failed.So i decided to uninstall AVG and reinstall it again but when i do that i get an error message saying that it has failed because the program is not installed.
The thing is that i see both the icon on my desktop and on my lower right corner of the screen.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

And i'll take this chance for recommendations on both a antivirus and antispyware program.

Thanks

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 17 February 2008 - 09:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 19Grumpah42

19Grumpah42

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:47 AM

I don't know your AVG product, but I have - and have no problem with - AdAware. There may be conflict between the two, perhaps? You might try uninstalling the AVG, doing a Registry Cleanup if you have an app. for that, then reinstalling your AdAware and at least see if it will function and update by itself.
--G

#3 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:53 AM

Try stopping the AVG process. Almost all programs will not uninstall properly if they are still running.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

which version of adaware are you trying to update? and which version of windows?

and try repair AVG antivirus program line 625 :thumbsup:

#5 onlinemadness

onlinemadness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:31 PM

Thanks i'll try that.

#6 onlinemadness

onlinemadness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:38 PM

Oh and it's Ad-Aware SE Personal.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:36 AM

Oh and it's Ad-Aware SE Personal.

your next issue then will be with adaware 2007which'replaced' Adaware SE; you will need to uninstall adaware se as it no longer updates

you can only run adaware 2007 if you have a windows version that it is compatible with ; you will probably find the info on
lavasoft forum infoenlightening :thumbsup:

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

Hello onlinemadness,

Is your version of AdAware the paid or the free version? The paid version is still supported and receives updates, the latest on Feb. 18, 2008.

Have you checked the time and date on your computer? If they are incorrect, problems with updating programs can occur.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 onlinemadness

onlinemadness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

It is the free version.

Both the time and date are correct.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

Hello onlinemadness,

Since you have the free version of AdAware SE, you have to decide whether to upgrade to AdAware 2007 or choose another antispyware program. According to quietman7, AdAware 2007 is not recommended.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 bdgfn

bdgfn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:42 AM

Orange Blossom, what reason does quietman7 give for not recommending AdAware 2007? And is this just his opinion, or is it shared by many? Thanks.

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

Orange Blossom, what reason does quietman7 give for not recommending AdAware 2007? And is this just his opinion, or is it shared by many? Thanks.

from what I have seen around various forums Adaware 2007 seems sadly to be 'losing its appeal'as a reliable program ; when you recommend a program you intend it to do the job it is meant to do , including easy updating and scanning; adaware 2007 seems to be 'slipping' out of reliability

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:41 PM

No, it is not just his opinion. Here is the direct quote which I couldn't find last night. I added the bold face:

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D due to poor testing results and no longer recommending Ad-Aware due to the ever increasing amount of problems. See here.

Orange Blossom

#14 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:33 PM

No, it is not just his opinion. Here is the direct quote which I couldn't find last night. I added the bold face:

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D due to poor testing results and no longer recommending Ad-Aware due to the ever increasing amount of problems. See [color=blue]here[/color].

Orange Blossom :trumpet:

to be fair I cannot see any date on that link and I also noted

Ad-Aware SE Personal
Note: due to the ever increasing amount of problems with this product it is no longer recommended.

which , if we wish to split hairs, is NOT Adaware 2007 :thumbsup:

HOWEVER one seems to be running out of basic programs to recommend :flowers:

#15 amadaemon

amadaemon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

Re your question about AVG, reinstall it, if asked to allow over write say yes. Then disable it and remove it.
As to AD aware, I've never used it, but same method might work.
After removal of any one, reboot PC then remove files manually from C drive + reboot again.
Repeat till all is totally removed.
Replace AVG and do everything asked including registering.
Try Spyware Terminator 2.1 but DONT USE WEB SECURITY OR CLAM ANTIVIRUS
Amadaemon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users