Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think My Laptop Is Infected. What Do I Do Now?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kimmi

kimmi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:38 PM

Hi all!
I'm pretty sure there are infected files on my laptop. I use AVG (the free addtition), i was using Zone Alarm but i then installed BT Broadband which tried to install Norton Antivirus on my laptop, which I declined but somehow in the process my Zone Alarm Antivirus was deleted even though the other components of Zone Alarm (such as the fire wall and pop-up blocker) remained. I have to admit that being slightly backwards when it comes to computer programmig I didnt realise until after a week or so Windows informed me I had no anti virus working on my computer. Therefore, I installed AVG but it kept telling me that my internal antivirus database was out of date even after i updated it and restarted the computer. That problem is however fixed now, it shows the internal virus database as up to date. However during a scan AVG found 2 infected files in my laptop. However, when it tried to treat them it couldnt. I expected them to be safely in the virus vault but they weren't and when files are scanned they are still there! I dont know if it is related but when i try to stream video from channel4.com and itv.com I am told that my DRM is out of date or something but my Media player shows that it has updated them. I have even been to the Microsoft website and updated it manually. Can this problem be fixed? Please help me!!!! I really need my laptop as I am a student and really cannot afford to buy a new one!
With Regards,
Kimmi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

Did AVG provide a specific file name associated with this malware threat and if so, where is it located (full file path) at on your system? If the scan saved a log file, it should show exactly what and where the malware was found so post that instead.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 kimmi

kimmi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:16 PM

Did AVG provide a specific file name associated with this malware threat and if so, where is it located (full file path) at on your system? If the scan saved a log file, it should show exactly what and where the malware was found so post that instead.

Thanks for your help!! A friend helped me figure it out. He found the file and healed it. :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:28 PM

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved.

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users