Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Pointer Freezes Using Kvm Switch

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 googlebytes

googlebytes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hi,
I have a D-Link KVM switch which was working fine switching between my XP SP2 computer and my Vista computer.
Then I decided to install 2002 norton goback for some stupid reason. Then my computer would not reboot. So I rebooted in safe mode and did a system restore for earlier install in the day.

But now my XP computer loses(freezes) my mouse pointer when I switch over to my Vista computer and back. The Vista computer keeps the mouse active. The only way I've found to get control of the mouse pointer back is to reboot - that's no good.
I've updated the bios. I've uninstalled the mouse driver, and let XP reinstall them. Nothing works so far. By the way 2 driver files show up for the mouse, i8042prt.sys and mouclass.sys. Am I supposed to have both these driver files? I have a PS2 mouse.

Anyone have any suggestions short of reinstalling XP, all the drivers, and programs again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 19Grumpah42

19Grumpah42

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:39 AM

Sorry to hear your problem. I have both those drivers on my WinXP SP2 system, so they are not the problem. I run a KVM switch between this and a dual 98/Linux machine with no problem, so I won't be trying your Norton product. In general, I have had complete disasters with all the "roll back" utilities I have tried, including the MS checkpoint one - it always fails. If you want to do proper backups of your system volume, I suggest using the Ziff-Davis version of BartPE with DiskImageXML: it really works.
I have had problems of mouse-lockup caused by "broken" graphics drivers, but I cannot help you really; you might try reinstalling your graphics driver, a lot quicker than doing a complete reformat and WinXP install.
--G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users