Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid Error Message

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grandpaw7

grandpaw7

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

When I click on a website icon on my desktop, I quite often, but not always, get an error message advising me that Windows cannot find the website and telling me to be sure I have typed the name correctly and then again. Then the website I am seeking opens up. It seems to me that the website opens just about as fast as it did before I started getting these error messages. This occurs on some websites but not on others. It used to occur on both IE6 and Firefox, but now it occurs only on Firefox. I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and redid the icons but that did not help. If I type the URL in the address bar at the bottom I do not get the error message. Also, I have a document in MS Works in which I list some URLs. Sometimes, when I go to that page and click on one of the website addresses, I get an error an MS Works error message advising that the system cannot find the file specified and then the website opens up.

Even though the problem is only a nuisance since the websites do open up and the problem does not seem to delay this, I would like to get rid of it if I can.

Some specs:

Intel® Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Windows XP Home Edition
Dell Dimension 2400 desktop
Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB [RAM]
I have plenty of memory available.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 grandpaw7

grandpaw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

I also meant to say that I have AVG and SpySweeper and that I regularly run AdAware CCleaner and SpyBot.

#3 grandpaw7

grandpaw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

Well, I guess I should also say that the error appears for some websites and not for others, and that on some websites it sometimes appears and sometimes does not. For example, I a while ago I clicked on my desktop icon for my bank and got the error message. But I clicked on it again a few minutes ago and didn't get the error message.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

First empty all of your cookies, history and temp files. You might want to also flush the DNS cache. If worst comes to worst delete the old bookmarks and create a new one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users