Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Installer Errors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 s_m_f

s_m_f

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

First, let me start by apologizing if I've posted in the wrong area. This is my first time posting in this forum, or any forum for that matter. I am attempting to find help with a problem that is extremely aggravating, as I'm sure most problems are.

The problem that I am encountering is with Windows Installer. I have found that I have the latest version, from what I have read on the internet anyway. Of course, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I have version 3.1. The problem I have is when I shut down, I am receiving an error message when it states that I am uploading updates. The problem is that when it is uploading these updates, I get a message that says "The instruction at 0x008x1113 reference memory at 0x003a3f68. The memory could not be read." This only happens at shutdown. Never while I'm using my computer. It also states "msiexec" I have researched the problem online and found numerous other people who are having a problem with a code the same, different numbers obviously but their codes are all with svchost.exe not "msiexec" as mine is.

The difference I have found with everyone else who has posted their problems is that they have a problem installing programs, I do not. I do not have a problem using my system either, as they do. The only thing that is similar is the error message and that it hangs at shutdown. (Sorry for the lengthy post and if it is in the wrong area. Thanks for any help!)

S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

Is this a blue screen error?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

When it hangs at shutdown, open Task Manager By right-clicking on the taskbar and see what application is not responding
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 s_m_f

s_m_f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

Is this a blue screen error?

If you mean like the "blue screen of death" (as that's the only blue screen error) I know of, then no. It's an error that pops up when it says "Windows in shutting down" Then it goes on to say that you should not shut down or unplug your system as it will turn off automatically. So, there is a blue screen, but it's behind the text. I know very little about computers, other than how to fix minor problems with the internet and a few programs, so if I sound uneducated with my answers, sorry.

#5 s_m_f

s_m_f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:38 PM

When it hangs at shutdown, open Task Manager By right-clicking on the taskbar and see what application is not responding

Maybe I mis-worded it when I stated that it was "hanging" at shutdown. Usually when my system would shutdown, prior to this error, there would be no updates as I would have all updates done while I was at the computer. When I said hanging at shutdown, I meant that it is attempting to download these updates but it's coming up with errors after each one. So, there's no task bar there. It's the blue screen that says windows is trying to shut down, do not unplug or shut down your system, it will automatically do so. And everything shuts down once all the errors are done popping up. I get 6 errors total. Sorry for miswording what I meant to say.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:27 AM

Hello s_m_f,

From the sound of the error messages, it appears as though the installers are corrupt. There is a Windows Installer Cleanup Utility that may help resolve this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Another possibility to resolve the problem is to use the system file protector (I'm assuming you have Windows XP) because msiexec is a system file. To run this:

Start --> Run Type in sfc /scannow Make sure there is a space between the c and the / It will check the system files and either repair or replace corrupt or missing files. It will check the i386 folder for these files if replacements are needed. If this folder is not on your computer, it may ask for your installation disk. It will report anything it finds wrong in the Event Viewer under System. Note: I always have some signature errors that can't be fixed. This is a known issue with some Dell OEM installations and is nothing to be concerned about.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

A quick note to OB's post. Do not use the Utility on any Microsoft Office applications. Anything else is fine, just check the appropriate boxes

Edited by garmanma, 21 February 2008 - 08:32 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users