Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blaster Worm

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 somebodyhere

somebodyhere

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Recently I was infected by the blaster worm (I think) Because each time I log in a error pops up then a countdown then the computer shuts down...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

Welcome to BC somebodyhere.

Blaster is an old infection so you probably have something else. Shutdowns and random reboots could be malware related or they could be due to hardware or overheating problems caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing power supply, underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty drivers, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware, etc. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to restart on a more regular basis.

If your system is shutting down, follow these steps to stop the cycle:
  • Click on Start > Run and type: cmd
  • Press Enter.
  • At the Command Prompt type: shutdown -a
  • Press Enter.
Then download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool.
click on the link "Skip the details and download the tool"

Download and scan with the McAfee Avert Stinger Tool. Follow the instructions posted on the same page for running a scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 somebodyhere

somebodyhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

But I don't understand why the Antivirus would be uninstalled and it wouldn't let me on security sites-sorry for not adding this earlier

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:21 PM

Some malware types will disable your anti-virus and then block you from accessing security sites in an attempt to keep you from finding a way to remove it.

Are you finding any suspicious processes in Task Manager? When you experience or encounter strange behavior, always check for new, unknown or suspicious processes that may be running on your system.

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

You can download and use Process Explorer or System Explorer to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

Download HostsXpert - Hosts File Manager
  • Extract (unzip) HostsXpert.zip to a a permanent folder on your hard drive such as C:\HostsXpert
  • Double-click HostsXpert.exe to start the program.
  • When the program opens, click the "Restore MS Hosts File" button in the left pane.
  • Click "Make Hosts Writable?" (if available).
  • Click "Restore Microsoft's Hosts file" when prompted and then click "OK".
  • Exit Hoster when done.
Note: If you were using a custom Hosts file you will need to replace any of those entries yourself.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users