Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Shutdown With Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lastchance

lastchance

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

My Sony Vaio suddenly refuses to shutdown unless power is turned off. Also takes FOREVER to boot up. What should I look for? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:44 PM

First try looking in the Reliability Monitor. Go to Start and type in "perfom" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on the Reliability Monitor in the left hand pane and then look for the errors in the right hand pane.

Next, try looking at a System Health Report. Go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter. It'll take about a minute for the report to generate. Then look at Warnings, Performance, and any other errors that may be displayed.

Finally, look at the Event Viewer for errors. Go to Start and type in "eventvwr" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on Windows Logs in the left hand pane, then on System logs and view the log in the right hand pane. Do the same thing for the Application log files.

Let us know what errors are found and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 lastchance

lastchance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for the advice John. Turned out the problem was linked to only one of 3 users on the Sony. Deleted the user and the new user set up didn't have the problem. Moving up from Win98 to XP then Vista and from Office Pro 95 to Office Pro 2007 was a huge mistake on my part. I just need a simple tool to get things done and Microsoft keeps shoving this bloatware and fancy graphics down our throats. Good for the IT guys I guess, but hell on the working stiff.

#4 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:28 AM

I had a buddy tell me he did the same thing.He was having probs and deleted his account and created a new one and his Vista was fine again. :huh:

#5 diannawolfe

diannawolfe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. Just recently bought a new HP loaded with windows vista home premium. I am having a shut down/restart problem also. I followed your advice and found the following:

SfCtlCom.exe stopped working
nvcplui.exe stopped responding

I did get a message one time to update my NVidia driver. I tried that and got the message the driver wasn't compatible with my system.

This is very frustrating as I have to shut down the computer with the power switch and I know that's not a good thing to do.

Any help would be most appreciated.

thanks, dianna

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:36 AM

I would suggest uninstalling and then reinstalling your TrendMicro Internet Security package.

For your nVidia video driver:
Visit the HP website here: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/suppor...Display=drivers
Enter your product's model number and navigate to the page with downloads.
Download the video driver listed there.

Then, uninstall the video driver from the Uninstall a program applet in Control Panel.
Then double click on the downloaded file to install the new driver.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 diannawolfe

diannawolfe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I stopped using windows mail. Installed another mail client. I rebooted, then went to windows update. The update found an Nvidia driver, installed that.

Now I can reboot the computer without waiting forever or shutting down from the surge protector. :huh:

The problems seem to have been with windows mail. It would be nice if they solve the problems before they put the programs on the computers, but that would be in a perfect world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users