Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Issues W/ Feb. Microsoft Critical Updates For Xp?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hey there,

Just wanted to check to see if anyone with XP SP2 had any issues with this month's critical updates. Here's what came up for me:

High-priority updates
Microsoft Windows XP

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB944533)
Typical download size: 1.3 MB , 5 minutes
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system running Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB946026)
Typical download size: 132 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in the mrxdav.sys driver that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB943055)
Typical download size: 153 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system using Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) Automation and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

I did a google search, and it comes up with the usual issues here and there -- but I figure it's always safe to double-check (and doing so in the past has saved me from installing a problematic update -- so thanks!). Hopefully that's still okay to do. If not, please let me know. (I always wait a week after they're up to check for problems -- based on a suggestion from here, so thanks for that too!)

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 17 February 2008 - 12:43 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sloopercat

sloopercat

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:37 PM

The update caused my Firewall to stop interfacing with the web. If I turned off the Firewall all was fine. My ISP seemed to have clue that was the answer, the first thing they suggested. I had to uninstall and reinstall the firewall. Seems a bit too much of a coincidence.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:56 AM

The update caused my Firewall to stop interfacing with the web. If I turned off the Firewall all was fine. My ISP seemed to have clue that was the answer, the first thing they suggested. I had to uninstall and reinstall the firewall. Seems a bit too much of a coincidence.

Which update specifically do you think caused this?

And which firewall do you use? (I have ZA Free 6.5.737. I also use AVG A/V Free and Antispyware Free (Scanner-Only), just fyi.)

Has anybody else had this issue?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 sloopercat

sloopercat

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:11 PM

Which update specifically do you think caused this?

And which firewall do you use? (I have ZA Free 6.5.737. I also use AVG A/V Free and Antispyware Free (Scanner-Only), just fyi.)

Has anybody else had this issue?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

No idea which specific one, it came through in the last few days. I have Comodo firewall, the updated Comodo Pro is a better package anyway. If I went into the net through one of my programs with a link, it was fine. It had something to do with the port assigned to IE, I believe. Don't know if that was part of the update or not. I turned off the computer and the updates loaded before it shut down, next day IE connection was disabled by the Firewall.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:59 PM

Hmmm... I wound't know either...

Has anybody else had any problems with any of these updates?

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

Applied updates listed above. No issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users