Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add More Mb To Gateway P5-133

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DebMarieGreene

DebMarieGreene

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hi thanks in advance for any advice or assistance.
An elderly parent wants me to add more memory to his old Gateway P5-133 (Model GW2K-Hampton BATC) so it can migrate from Windows 98 to XP Home Edition. The user guide for this PC disappeared a long long time ago.
Where can I get instructions for installing more horsepower in this dinosaur? What is the difference between "RAM" and memory?
What info do I need to collect from the existing system to determine what parts to buy?I know it's got GenuineIntel Pentium® Processor, 32 MB RAM, 86% system resources free, Quantum Fireball ST1.6A (whatever this is).
Is it the kind of project I can realistically do myself? Thanks again. :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:33 AM

Thats a 133 processor. XP requires a 233 processor minimum according to Microsoft (yeah right)System Requirements for Windows XP
If it only has 32 megs of ram it wont remotely work. XP likes 256+
Looks like a 1.6 gig hard drive too. XP will gobble up 1.5 gig leaving not much room for anything else

I think I would recommend staying with 98 on this system. Its small & doesnt take a powerful system to run

Post the model number. Its on the front or on a sticker on the back
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

You can't really do what they want, the processor is too slow to run windows xp, you might find plenty of used ram if you looked in the right places(computer recycling), and the hard drive is too small, about 5 years ago I saw over 100 of those a recycler was paid to haul away from a national lab, they were asking 20$ and couldn't sell them.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

If you want to see if the computer is suitable for WinXP then download and run UpgAdv.exe.

With 32 MB RAM you are going to need a lot more. The bare minimum is 256Mb but the more the better. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users