Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Microbills Still A Threat?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Microbills-hater123

Microbills-hater123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:23 AM

A few months ago, MicroBills was a virus on my PC (wrongly- i dont watch that stuff!). I managed to remove it and cannot find any trace of it in files, programs or whatever.

however, whenever i do a scan with Norton 360, it says Virus and spyware scan -risks detected: 2
-risks removed: 1
(more info)
it has removed a tracking cookie, but not microbills. Is this because it has already been deleted, but is somehow still showing up? or is the program still risky and will it damage my PC?

I have tried again to remove it, but I cant because there is no trace of it on the PC other than on the scan.

Thanks and i know my question is a bit confusing!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:30 AM

A tracking cookie is not necessarily a threat.

As you browse the web, cookies are automatically saved onto your computer to remember things like login information, filled fields, and browsing history.

Some cookies are actually used to track what websites you visit and allow marketing companies to direct ads to you based on your browsing history.

For example, if you regularly browse amazon.com for romantic books, you will probably see more banner ads that have to do with romantic books. (just an example of many ways cookies can be used)

As you can see, this is somewhat a concern over privacy, but it does not pose a necessary threat.

Chances are that this cookie is not affiliated with the previous virus you had, but that is not guaranteed. You may want to start a thread in the security forum if you are unsure about the level of unwanted software on your computer.

As a last note, Cookies are not really a security risk, but they do somewhat invade privacy and the ones that your virus remover detects are usually safe to remove, but I do not suggest removing ALL of your cookies since they make your online experience more convenient (for the most part)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

Two considerations:

a. System Restore will retain a copy of malware...if SR was operative at the time you had malware...and you did not turn SR off while removing.

b. If Symantec detects it...it has to show/reflect a location. If you have malware automatically stored in a vault, that could be what is being detected (without being removed).

And...you can always do an online scan of your system to check. Just because you have an AV installed doesn't preclude the use of an online scan to double-check. Trend-Micro seems to be a reliable online scanner.

Louis

Edit: I just saw this link, which should help: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry681910

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2008 - 10:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users