Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot into Windows (2)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrDinga

MrDinga

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hey all - 1st post here but I'm glad to say that the OP is not alone. I'm the Help Desk Administrator for a large company that deals exclusively with Dell. I've worked with many of their C- and D-Series laptops and never came across one that I could not do anything with - until getting my hands on this Inspiron E1705 that is experiencing the exact issue as the OP.

I can run the diagnostics with no issues at all and can attempt to boot into a CD (have NOT tried a diagnostic CD) but no matter what I do the CD will not boot. After I F12 into the boot menu and choose the CD drive, I get the typical message to wait while setup inspects my PC's configuration. After the message disappears, all I get is a black screen (with no blinking cursor). I have tried this unsuccessfully with an original XP Reinstallation CD, a copy of an XP Reinstallation CD, and two different Bart's disks. NONE of these disks will load.

I have no reason to suspect the hard drive has issues at this point since the CDs are also experiencing issues. However, the hard drive bay that I brought home from work is for an IDE drive and this one happens to be a SATA drive, so I have not been able to test it out on its own.

Also, I am NOT able to F8 to choose Safe Mode, Last Good Known Config, etc. I'm not sure if it's related to the issue or if this specific PC has never been able to do that, but I haven't heard of one PC that doesn't have this option.

So - what are my thoughts? I'm not sure at this point. I've only been playing with this for about an hour and am pretty baffled. It's unlike anything I've seen before and the only conclusion that I can come to is that the motherboard has issues, though I don't know why the diagnostics would pass with flying colors if that were the case.

GotDimps - did you ever get this resolved? I'm under the impression that these events may have occurred around the same time as this PC belongs to a computer-illiterate co-worker of mine and he just asked me to take a look at it yesterday (presumably after a day or so of it not working). That also happens to coincide with the release of Microsoft's monthly patching. Does anyone see how a bad patch could in ANY WAY cause this issue?

Thanks for any input and I hope that we can get somewhere with this! I hate to let down my people at work - they're pretty confident that I can do anything PC related.

BTW GotDimps - I don't think you're crazy or PC illiterate in any way. These issues are identical and too close together to be a coincidence.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:23 AM

Topic Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/129939/cannot-boot-windows-on-dell-laptop/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:18 AM

Upon reading the steps you have done, it seems you have not tried another CD/DVD drive to boot from.

With the multitude of discs you have tried to boot to, I am sure it is not the CD/DVD media that is the problem, rather the optical drive, or as you suggested, the mobo.

Try another drive.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

Altho dell has tried to use decent slimline drives in their computers, few laptop drives work right and then not for long.

For the very problem you are having, I strongly suggest laptop users get an external drive and save their internal for essential use, is the drive still under warranty?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 MrDinga

MrDinga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

Yeh, the PC is still under warranty but I don't know the extent of what it covers/does. As stated on Dell's website:

Description Provider Start Date End Date Days Left
Limited Technical Support DELL 9/24/2007 9/23/2009 584
Next Business Day, Includes Nights/Weekends QLX 9/24/2007 9/23/2009 584
Technical Support - Phone Assistance DELL 9/24/2007 9/23/2009 584

Also, trying another drive would be great but I don't think the ones I have available are compatible (Latitude D-series drives that also fit my Inspiron 600m). I'll have to take the drive out and check it out but I don't think they're the same. Also, what are the chances that an otherwise perfectly working drive would go bad at the same time that the 'rest' of the PC does?

And getting an external drive to save the data to is a great idea, but this isn't my PC and it's difficult to get everyone to understand that that's the way to go... =)

It's still weird that I can't use a Bart's disk to at least get into it... considering that I don't think it's the drive, but an external SATA bay may help to recover the data.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

you are right
I missed this part

I get the typical message to wait while setup inspects my PC's configuration.

return the laptop on warranty
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 MrDinga

MrDinga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:33 PM

That's basically what I told my guy to do. Thanks for the assistance! I'll post back if I hear anything out of the ordinary from him as to what it was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users