Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Set Up Wireless Network?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VirusHeatEvil

VirusHeatEvil

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:17 AM

The amazing help I received from the anti-virus section of this forum has promted me to try to resolve another issue.

I am running XP SP2 and my modem is NetCommNB9W (Wireless). My problem is I have absolutely no idea how to set up my system so that I can establish a wireless network and surf from around the house on my laptop. My ISP is no help at all... they say I should ask the modem manufacturer.

I have searched and searched for step by step instructions that a novice can understand but found nothing. If someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:22 AM

LOL your ISP doesn't know anything by the sounds of it lol.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx - Try Microsoft.

Ask us more questions and we will be able to help one way or another.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:10 AM

In order to adjust wireless settings you need to access the configuration settings of your router.
You need to type in the address of the router into the address bar of your browser in order to access the configuration settings.

According to Netcomm the default address is 192.168.1.1 (so type this in your internet browser)
The default username is: admin
The default password is: admin

If the username or password do not work and you do not know them, then you will need to reset the router by using a paperclip to hold down the reset button for 10 seconds. When the lights turn steady green, the reset is complete and you can login with the information I provided above. Warning: This will change all configuration settings back to the default "out of the box" state.

Here is the link to the NetComm NB9W Quickstart guide...
http://www.netcomm.com.au/QSG/NB9-NB9W_QSG.pdf

Here is the link to the NetComm NB9W full user guide...
http://www.netcomm.com.au/UG/NB9-NB9W_UG.pdf

The full user guide should give you step by step instructions on how to enable wireless on your device.

Also, in setting up wireless, be sure to use an encryption key to keep your network safe.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:34 AM

Moved to a more appropriate location (sounds better than "venue", huh?) :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 VirusHeatEvil

VirusHeatEvil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:21 AM

Thanks very much for your help so far! I will have another go at this as soon as I have the time and let you know how I get on!

Sorry for the misspost John :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users