Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Desktop Pc Can't Find Wireless...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bschoeck

bschoeck

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:55 AM

Hello, can anybody help?

My desktop was recently having some noise issues, so I took it into a shop. As part of his inspection, the guy took out a small board which has the socket for the monitor plug, and this board also has a small fan on it.

When I got the PC set up at home again, it no longer could find our wireless network (which it has for a 6 months before!). I type this now, using our wireless on another computer.

I used the Microsoft Help tutorials on my PC, but it was a dead end. For example, it said "Open 'Network Connections'. Click the wireless connection icon, and then, under 'Network Tasks', click 'View available wireless networks'. " Well, there was no wireless connection icon, and no 'View available wireless networks' in my Network Tasks.

The PC is Windows XP, SP2. My WiFi sensor thingy (?) is an antenna, with a long wire that screws onto the back of the CPU tower.

Thanks a lot for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:46 AM

Have you checked to see if the wireless card is firmly plugged into the motherboard? It may have gotten jarred loose during the repair. Be sure to unplug the system from the wall and to ground yourself on the metal chassis before reaching inside of the case.

Once that's done, boot into Windows. Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Look for the Network Adapters and see if your wireless card is listed there. If it is, does it have a red X or yellow ! by it?

Next, go to Control Panel and click on Network Connections. Is your wireless connection shown there? What does it say about the connection there? Right click on it, and select Properties to see more details about the connection (in particular, check the properties of the TCP/IP - it should (most likely) be set on "automatic".

Do you have security setup on your wireless router? If so, have you entered the appropriate key to allow access?

Finally, open up your browser, select Tools, then Internet Options, then the Connection Tab, then the LAN settings button. Check to see if the proxy server is enabled. If it is, remove the check from the box and click OK

Let us know if any of this helps - if not there's more stuff to try.

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bschoeck

bschoeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

Duh! Thanks! Yes, the wifi card was a bit loose. I followed your first step, and problem solved. Thanks a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users