Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W98 Missing Shlwapi.dll

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 samlf3rd

samlf3rd

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

Hello, we are using Windows 98 and we were getting this message missing SHLWAPI.DLL . It also said problem loading IE you must reinstall windows. Now I've done a lot of research and found out that you can download the file-I did that, I also disabled IE in system.ini. When I restarted the computer and file manager opened, I was able to put the file into c:windows\system\ the file is there(in system). Now when I turn on the computer it says "SHELL32.DLL file and is linked to missing export
SHLWAPI.DLL: SHRREGGETUSVALUEA.
Now i read I needed to register the file with resvrshlwapi.dll or! the long hand way tried both,,,no luck. I know how to get into reg in win2000 but in command prompt on 98 I don' understand the [L] and stuff can anyone please help?
thanks,
Sam F.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:23 AM

Now i read I needed to register the file with resvrshlwapi.dll or! the long hand way tried both,,,no luck. I know how to get into reg in win2000 but in command prompt on 98 I don' understand the [L] and stuff can anyone please help?

You can't register a file with a dll.

You normally register a file with Run: Regsvr32 SHLWAPI.DLL but you get an error because it was already loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. DllRegisterServer may not be exported or a corrupt version of SHLWAPI.DLL maybe in memory. Consider using PView.exe to detect and remove it.

How have your disabled IE in the System.ini?

I think SHLWAPI.DLL is installed by IE so consider doing a reinstall if IE6 SP1. Goto Add/Remove Programs and click to remove Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools. You will be given the option to reinstall. :thumbsup:

Edited by Keithuk, 17 February 2008 - 06:24 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:43 AM

And if reinstalling IE doesn't work you could install FireFox or Opera and import settings from IE.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:21 AM

Shlwapi.dll is part of IE as Keithuk says.
Go to control panel - add/remove programs. See if Ie is present. Sometimes it isnt. Look under the Microsoft stuff.
If it is there, click on it then click add/remove & select REPAIR then reboot.

If that doesnt work or if IE isnt in the add/remove list reinstall it
You can download it from hereIE 6 Service pack 1
The executable file is ie6setup. Run that one
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Hey guys thanks for the replies, I can't log in to windows not from safe mode either! I disabled ie by running c:windows\system.ini before the IE line I added a ";" and it allowed file manager to open when I restarted the computer where I can see all files plus drive a,c,d. If I could get on windows I could get it fixed. Should I delete the shlwapi.dll i put in there?
All I have to work with is windows 98 command prompt,,,,,,,, I don't have floppy drive so I'll download the file(s) you guys suggested and see if I can put them on a cd(compact disk). But how would I install the files without opening windows?
Thank you,
Sam
P.S. I need some photos and word docs in my old computer(the one we are working on,not the one I'm typing on). I can see the files in file manager and when I tryto "copy" them to drive D with a disk in it say the file is write protected or something,,, any help?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:03 PM

Whats the exact error message(s) you are getting when Windows tries to load?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

The first message is the grey dialog box that says "Problem loading Explorer you must Reinstall windows" i hit okay hit now says "The SHELL32.DLL file is to linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL:SHRegGetUSVauleA.

#8 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:30 PM

I'm sorry it says problem loading Explorer.exe

#9 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:33 PM

and before I put the shlwapi.dll file in the system folder it would say the same error message(problem load,,,,explorer.exe youmust,,,,,) except the next pop up box would say something like cannot run explorer.exe missing shlwapi.dll file

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

I disabled ie by running c:windows\system.ini before the IE line I added a ";" and it allowed file manager to open when I restarted the computer where I can see all files plus drive a,c,d. If I could get on windows I could get it fixed. Should I delete the shlwapi.dll i put in there?

Well I don't have an IE line in my System.ini. Which section is it in [boot], [boot.description], [386Enh] or somewhere else?

What are you calling File Manager, Windows Explorer, Winfile or My Computer?

Well if you download shlwapi.dll from somewhere or I can post it here if you would like, you can put it back in your Win\Sys folder from DOS. :flowers:

P.S. I need some photos and word docs in my old computer(the one we are working on,not the one I'm typing on). I can see the files in file manager and when I tryto "copy" them to drive D with a disk in it say the file is write protected or something,,, any help?

Do you have a CD writer?

I disabled ie by running c:windows\system.ini before the IE line I added a ";" and it allowed file manager to open when I restarted the computer where I can see all files plus drive a,c,d. If I could get on windows I could get it fixed. Should I delete the shlwapi.dll i put in there?

Well I don't have an IE line in my System.ini. Which section is it in [boot], [boot.description], [386Enh] or somewhere else?

What are you calling File Manager, Windows Explorer, Winfile or My Computer?

Well if you download shlwapi.dll from somewhere or I can post it here if you would like, you can put it back in your Win\Sys folder from DOS. :thumbsup:

Do you have a CD writer?

Keith

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

I'm sorry it says problem loading Explorer.exe

Well you can put this line back in your System.ini.

[boot]
shell=Explorer.exe
:thumbsup:

Keith

#12 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

Keith yes I do and I just downloaded it from a link on this site. The only function I have available on that computer is pressing f8 and running in command propmt that is all. I cannot get into my windows pane other than to see my desktop pic for a split second then I get the error messages. I read here http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showth...7581&page=2
that I could disable ie by putting a ; semi-colon in the second line(after I run EDITc: windows\system.ini) of system.ini.
Well funny thing when I saved what I did and restart the computer now windows loads what looks like to me a registry editor (it is called File Manager-I can see all of my files and the contents of drive A, C, and, D.

BEFORE WE GO ANY FURTHER the warning message doesn't say Internet explorer.exe it just says EXPLORER.EXE

there are two panes,,, up at the top my options are File Disk Tree View Options Window Help
the warning message (SHELL32.SLL file is linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL:SHRegGetUSValueA)is there but i can still work the file manager.

#13 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

and what do you mean [BOOT]?would I just type a new line?

#14 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

And actually it is there it's the second line shell=Explorer.exe

#15 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

I also just downloaded and burned to a cd windows 98 bootdisk from bootdisk.com. Is there anything I can try with that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users