Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shytownbuuur

shytownbuuur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:36 PM

I had the about:blank hijacker, I did a DOS format /U. Reinstalled Windows XP, and everything began working fine. That hijacker is now gone. Last night I shut off my computer, and when I went to start it this morning, everything inside the case turned on (fans), but the moniter just kept flashing, DOS didnt even start. Shut it off a few times and got it to start and when the XP load screen came up, it froze and the screen went orange with a bunch of blocks. Checked everything on the MB and it checked out. Restarted it again and it started up and here I am. It was like trying to get a car to start. I have a WIN32/NIMDA (DRP) virus in system volume information, under system restore. My anti virus says 'error occured during file repair, file not repaired'. Ive never had this problem before.

1) Was the virus the cause?
2) Will turning off system restore remove it?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Edited by shytownbuuur, 11 March 2005 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:40 PM

Do you have an older system restore date (before the virus infection)?

Sounds like system restore reinfected your computer.

If you have to do another dos reformat, shut off system restore first so the restore points do not reinfect the computer.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

That virus could very well be the cause.

When you turn off System Restore you delete all your restore points. When you turn it on you create one. My advice is to turn it off, do a scan and also do a second online one (like HouseCall) and once you are convinced your system is clean turn it back on again.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 shytownbuuur

shytownbuuur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:46 PM

Im running all fairly new hardware (soyo kt-400 dragon mb, corsair extreme 256, etc) and XP is SP2. From what I know, viruses infect the hard drive, preventing windows from starting or erasing them all together. My problem was that nothing was turning on, power was on (fans worked) but the MB and everything else just sat there, and the moniter just flashed its message of being on. Do viruses atack hardware preventing them form even turning on?

#5 shytownbuuur

shytownbuuur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:47 PM

Do you have an older system restore date (before the virus infection)?

Sounds like system restore reinfected your computer.

If you have to do another dos reformat, shut off system restore first so the restore points do not reinfect the computer.

I think I have 1-2 restore points before the infection, but I noticed with the about:blank bleep, it didnt matter it was still there.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:34 PM

There used to be viruses that would infect or damage the Bios but they are almost unheard of now. This sounds to be more likely a hardware problem. Are you getting any beeps when you start the computer?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users