Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sp 2 Install Failure Reboot Cycling...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jde68

jde68

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

I just tried to do the SP2 install. Install failled...I cancelled install...it froze...I rebooted. Then it kept rebooting. I hit f8 and stopped it from rebooting at system failure and now my BSOD reads winsrv was not found. What can I do now? Thanks in advance for help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:08 AM

I had a problem once with getting a flashing blue screen (reboot loop) when I installed sp2 on a customers eMachine.
I ended up just doing a fresh install after backing up her data on another computer.

You may want to try these steps though even though they did not work for me...

If you would like to diagnose the blue screen error, you need to boot into safe mode (if possible).
Hit F8 multiple times immediately after your computer flashes the bios screen on boot up. Select Safe Mode.
If the computer boots properly go to Control Panel > System then click the "Advanced" tab.
At the bottom you will see a section called "Startup and Recovery" click the "Settings" button for Startup and Recovery.
In the next window, uncheck the box labeled "Automatically restart"
Once you do this, the computer will no longer automatically restart, instead it will lock up when the blue screen error displays.
After you have the blue screen freeze, you can write down the information it provides and can offer more assistance with troubleshooting your error since you know the exact error code affiliated with your problem.

I hope safe mode works since this will offer a great deal of help troubleshooting your problem.

If safe mode is impossible you may want to perform a repair install of Windows.
Open the recovery console by booting to a Windows XP install cd, and press "r" after setup loads
This will load the recovery console, select the Windows installation you would like to configure (usually 1: C:\Windows)
Type the Administrator password if one exists.
At the prompt type "Chkdsk /r" with no quotes.
When it is finished type "exit" with no quotes, remove the XP install cd, and see if the computer boots.

If that does not work, there is a way to remove sp2 using the recovery console.
Check this Microsoft article for exact instructions.
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/875350

I remember in my research on the problem it was related to a certain Intel processor (celeron I think, I do not remember it was about a year ago)
If you have an Intel celeron, it is probably due to the same problem, hopefully uninstalling sp2 will fix the problem.
After I performed a restore, the FIRST thing I did was update windows and install sp2, I ran into no problems.

BUT, if you re-install XP sp1, apply this patch before to address the issue: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...07-b620727be8d8

You may also want to check this article for more information. This has many more tricks than I have provided you, but I have never done them myself so I cannot guarantee anything.
http://winhlp.com/node/125#Boot_or_shutdow..._2_installation

Edited by lowtek_otc, 17 February 2008 - 02:14 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:27 AM

The 2 most commn reasons for SP2 to fail on install are:
1) Malware
2) Incompatible hardware drivers

I'd suggest scanning your system for malware by using these free, online scans:
http://safety.live.com (requires IE)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

After that, visit the website of the manufacturer of your system and download the latest drivers for your system and install them. Then try to update to SP2 and see what happens.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jde68

jde68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

I don't have the CD is there somewhere online I can download it? And I should be malware clean...I just went through a huge clean up. I have been checking with both Panda and Trenmicro for the past two weeks since the clean up and all has come up clear that is why I tried to the SP2 download. What if I try a system recovery.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:45 AM

Just visit the website of your computer manufacturer and check their Support site for Downloads and/or Drivers. You'll be able to download the udpated drivers from there without the need for a CD - they'll download directly to your computer so that you can install them.

Here's a handy article on updating drivers: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jde68

jde68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

Unfortunately I can't boot the PC how do I get the updates to my PC?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

what make and model of computer is it? do you have the sticker on the outside with your certificate and install numbers?

the recovery option you mentioned, how is that implemented?

Edited by DaChew, 17 February 2008 - 11:35 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 jde68

jde68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:11 PM

I have an HP Pavilion 725 N with an Athlon XP processor

#9 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

Another computer came into my shop today (coincidence) with a failed boot after installing sp2.

I told him I was going to have to restore, but instead of just going through with it I booted into the recovery console, and used the "fixmbr" command and it solved the problem!

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

I have an HP Pavilion 725 N with an Athlon XP processor

If you have the option to do a system recovery from a boot prompt like press f12 that usually returns the computer to it's original configuration, but you lose all data and programs you have installed since getting the computer. That's my favorite option, there's nothing better than a clean install. And that's the safest way to apply SP2. The only option that's safer is to do the clean install with sp2 already in the cab files. There will still be a lot of critical updates and driver updates to install even then. Nothing is worse than trying to rewrite the operating system after it's already been corrupted by malware and bad software and neglect.

If you don't have the option to boot to a reinstall, HP is obligated(by law) to sell you the cd's for a nominal fee.

Soon this will restart all over again when MS releases SP3
Chewy

#11 jde68

jde68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

I found this on the HP site...is this what I need----- xp home sp1 32naheblu3 recovery kit?

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:16 AM

make sure it's for your computer then procede to the order page and enter your serial number etc

make sure windows firewall is turned on before connevting to the internet(sp2 defaults to having it on)

better yet have a friend download the sp2 admin install and burn it to cd or usb drive

it's getting so dangerous now you really need to be protected before connecting to the internet

Edited by DaChew, 18 February 2008 - 10:26 AM.

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users