Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really Confused...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DaveHughes

DaveHughes

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hello All,

New to the forum, glad I found it as I have a problem I cannot figure out.

I noticed yesterday my Dell Laptop seemed slow to respond to keystrokes or mouse clicks and the hard drive access lamp does not go out for long.

I suspected some type of virus although I do run McAfee Virus Scan, Firewall and also use Window's Defender. I ran a virus scan and to my surprise it reported a trojan called malware.hi in a file called ViewExif which I have used for years. I deleted the offending files and ran the scan again, it reports no problems.

The computer still runs slow so I ran a full scan using Windows Defender. It reports no problems as well.
I downloaded and tried PC Tools Spyware Doctor and it can only find a few cookies to report as a problem.

I cannot account for the slow response?

Is it possible I still have a program running that the Security programs cannot see?

Defender, McAfee and the Spyware doctor are up to date.
I use Windows XP which is also up to date.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

Hello DaveHughes :thumbsup:

Sounds like this may be a good place to start: Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 DaveHughes

DaveHughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:22 AM

Hello Tmack,

Thanks for the link, I have browsed the information and have already tried most of what is suggested. In Normal or safe mode I get no indication of viruses, trojans or spyware. Scan disk reports no problems either. However the computer continues to be slow, it acts as if something is taking priority over what I am currently doing. It started this earlier this week, no new software other than the latest Windows updates and of course the regular updates to McAfee and Windows Defender. The way it began made me think it could be some type of software infection, most descriptions of symptoms of this type of infection report a slow computer.

I can begin to enter a login name, a list of names is displayed and the computer hangs momentarily before alllowing me to select a particular name. A similar action occurs when I press the start button, their is a delay before the menu appears. Even an alternate click is taking time to display a menu. There is an obvious delay even switching or closing menus. I have only Adobe Gamma Loader and GoBack in my startup files so in an idle condition I cannot see why it would be so slow?

I tried the Super Antispyware through the link provided on the forum. It only reported adware cookies, no other problems.

If it doesn't appear to be some type of malicious software which the tools indicate it is not; perhaps I should be looking in another forum?
Some type of hardware problem?

What bothers me the most is the hard drive icon rarely goes out, if some type of activity is using the hard drive I think that could relate to the slow reponse I am seeing. I have no explanation what is causing the activity.

Thanks,
Dave

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:52 PM

Have you checked to see whats running via the Task Manager?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:52 PM

If you come across a suspicious file in Task Manager, search the name using Google or the following links:
BC's File Database
BC's Startup Programs Database
File Research Center
ThreatExpert Malware Search
If no search results are found, you are given the option to "Submit a New Sample".

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

You can download and use Process Explorer or System Explorer to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 DaveHughes

DaveHughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:37 AM

Hello Tmack, Quietman

Thanks for the advice and the links. I have been using Task Manager and Window's Defender software explorer to examine what is running.
I'll follow up with the links you have provided.

Thanks Again!

Dave

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:11 AM

Your welcome. Just post back here if you have trouble identifying anything or don't understand the results of any file submissions.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 DaveHughes

DaveHughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

Checked the files running under task manager and could not find anything unusual.
The computer was still running slow but I noticed when I was in an application it seemed
to run normally, it was just when I was trying to use the OS it was acting slow. On a hunch I
removed the GoBack application and it has returned to normal, no more strange activitiy on
the hard drive

Thanks again Tmack and Quietman for your assistance.

Dave

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:02 PM

Your welcome from both of us.