Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webroot Spysweeper - Spybot S&d

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

Hello,

I have three anti-spy ware programs which are Ad-aware 2007 (Free), Spybot S&D and Web root Spy sweeper. Since Spybot and Spy sweeper both had resident shields, I am now wondering which one do I use. Do I turn the Spybot resident shield off and the Spy sweeper one on or the other way around, or have both on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

I use spybot and install the sd helper but I don't consider it a resident shield, teatimer is too dangerous to leave activated from my past experience with it. The immunize feature with spybot I do regularly update and then do occasional scans. How many you can leave active depends upon the stability of your system and whether you can tolerate the loss in performance. It's best to not even have two fullfledged antivirus programs installed, but anti malware's seem a little safer. Experiment with spysweeper's shield.

If I had a quad core and 2 gigs of ram I would experiment more.

Too many programs running is almost like having a system crippled with malware. It's a little easier to fix tho.

Edited by DaChew, 16 February 2008 - 09:10 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 bigben1

bigben1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

I just have my avg antivirus going...I had avg antispyware on too but i closed it down gaurd, wasn't finding much really Now i just use the AS things like webroots spybot as on demand , although i have spysweeper to do schedule scan at 3am.. I've found vista ok with spyware i had more issues on Xp ... realtime i just use my avg antivirus Pro, i was reading Avg 8 is in beta i think that will have a av/as together will be great :thumbsup:

Edited by bigben1, 16 February 2008 - 09:46 PM.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

Sorry about the late reply, I was away for a few days. :thumbsup: Ok thanks for the replies. I have decided for my Spyware protection I will be using Ad-aware 2007 and Spybot S&D both as on-demand scanners and use Webroot Spysweeper as my real-time + on demand. :flowers:

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:50 AM

Be careful with Spysweeper, it's real time protection reminds me too much of teatimer's. Adaware seems on the downhill slide along with zonealarm. Avg's anti spyware seems to be popular and the new malwarebyte's is the promising newcomer.

I have had up to 3 antivirus programs installed at the same time, but I spent a long time setting each up to just use as a scanner, keep an eye on what services are running and whether their startup is manual or automatic.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:30 AM

Thanks a lot for the advice DaChew. :) :trumpet: :inlove: :woot: :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users