Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Seems To Freeze After Post And Bios

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cwurzler

cwurzler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

Hello everyone! Just joined and looking for help.

Windows XP Pro machine with 1 gig of ram.

My son's machine booted fine this morning but had been experiencing problems when starting IE.
Told him that I would look at it tomorrow (today).

He started the computer this morning and it booted up fine.
I had some software on a small 20 gig (portable) HD that I wanted to copy to his machine and run.
That is when the problems started and I had to reboot the system. Nothing responded, hence the reboot.

When I start his machine it will post, I can see the video card info and the bios info, I can get into the bios
and make changes if necessary but once it finishes with that and then enters the process of booting to XP
is when everything seems to stop, the screen just remains black, absolutely nothing....

I have tried booting into SafeMode, booting from a floppy and booting from the XP CD (recovery console)
and still absolutely nothing.

Therein lies the problem.

I'm just wondering if the video card has died on me, any thoughts?
Other than swapping out video cards, is there any way to test it?

Thanks much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:24 PM

The video card should be good since you can see the BIOS stuff when it POSTS.

There's a couple of things that can cause this - a failing hard drive, a messed up boot sector, corrupted video drivers, or a corrupted Windows installation.

The first thing to do is to go into the Recovery Console and type "fixboot" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then type "fixmbr" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then reboot and see if you can get in.

If not, then try booting into Safe Mode - does that work? Does it have an option to boot to VGA mode? Does that work?

You can download a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive and use it to test the hard drive.

To fix the video drivers, you'll have to get into Windows - so the next step would be a repair install of XP. It's a PITA, but it's the surest way to ensure that you get into Windows. There may be a problem if Internet Explorer 7 is installed (see this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 ) but you can still use the commands that it gives for the Recovery Console.

Then use this link for the repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

Maybe your Hard Drive has failed or has become dis-connected? When it is showing the BIOS info, does it say anything about the hard drive etc.

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:48 AM

After fixing the MBR and checking the BIOS for anything fishy, is it possible for you to try the last known good configuration?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#5 cwurzler

cwurzler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

Thank you for the replies.

1. Cannot get into the Recovery Console
2. Cannot boot into Safe Mode
3. Will look for HD info this time around, didn't think to look for it initially

Once the computer goes into the loading portion of Windows XP is when the screen goes black.
My thinking now seems to be towards the HD. I'm going to go to the manufacturer's website and download the bootable diagnostic utility and see where that takes me.

I will post later in the day, maybe tomorrow....Heading into town to watch the Tour of California today. Not often that we get this caliber of cyclists coming through.

Again, thanks for the replies and look for a post by tomorrow, latest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users