Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lt_dan

lt_dan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:10 PM

I really, really, really want Internet Explorer off my system. I've tried everything and can't get certain adware programs off - they keep popping up IE windows (I have a popup blocker on, but they get through somehow).

I have tried to remove IE. I've tried deleting the folder. I've tried ending the processes that run in the background to eliminate sharing violations. And when I get to the point where I actually delete msie.exe, it pops right back to life within a few seconds.

I know it's a Microsoft deal. I understand they don't want you to be able to whack it. I'm just wondering if anyone has found a way to get rid of the damn thing anyway.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:20 PM

You cannot remove IE. Other parts of the Windows operating systems are dependent on it to function.

Also you cannot get Windows updates without it.

What spyware are you infected with? Maybe we can help you rid your system of the problem.

#3 lt_dan

lt_dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:50 PM

I keep getting "Exclusive rewards" popping up, telling me I've won a free computer. I also keep getting something in Spanish.

I've run AdAware, SpyBoy and Spy Sweeper. I've deleted a bunch of .exe programs that have shown up somehow. I can't get rid of this stuff.

#4 paras

paras

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:52 PM

u know wht.. if u have norton antivirus then also u can know all the spywares and adwares on ur computer.
Posted Image

#5 lt_dan

lt_dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

Well, Symantic's not finding anything and it's been scanning for 30 minutes.

#6 justfoo

justfoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:45 PM

Dan what are you running for an internet browser instead of IE?
Never let a computer know you're in a hurry. DF

#7 lt_dan

lt_dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:48 PM

I have been using Firefox, but it's tricky sometimes. At home, it locks up quite a bit. Today I'm using Netscape 7.1 at work.

#8 justfoo

justfoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:00 PM

I really do think you're toast as far as eradicating IE, what's your operating system, I've been running FF for about a month now and it's been nothing but great for me. I'm running XP pro @ 2.4 ghz and 512 Ram though, so maybe thats why it's ok for me?
You maybe want to post some of your FF lock up problems on here and someone can help you with them.
Never let a computer know you're in a hurry. DF

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:07 PM

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for review.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a couple of days to get a response, but, the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 paras

paras

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:20 PM

ummmm.....for symantec u have to go in options and enable expanded threats and then it ill detect spywareas and adwares......and i think( i am not sure) how to remove some of the internet explorer componnents from ur system.... go in add or remove programs and then in the "add remove windows components" and then uncheck the internet explorer and it might wrk i dont know if it will thought!!
Posted Image

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

It sounds like you have a spyware/trojan infestation.

What version of Adaware are you using?

You need to be using Adaware SE with the latest definitions files installed.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Download, then update definitions file before using.

You also need Spybot Search and Destroy,
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

The Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

and at least another program or two.

CW Shredder will also help eliminate trojans.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html

After you download AND UPDATE the above programs, shut down your system and reboot in safe mode.

If you are using Win ME or Win XP shut system restore OFF.

Do a scan with the web based anti-virus scan offered by Trend Micro.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Then run the above anti-spyware/malware programs while in safe mode, rebooting after completing each program and deleting what they find, then running the next. It may take several scans from each application to accomplish the removal of all malware. One each is not sufficient.

Get the Yahoo tool bar (download from Yahoo.com) and run their anti-spyware program as well. (Works only with IE. WILL NOT WORK WITH FIREFOX).

If you have deleted any part of IE you have probably interfered with your operating system as many functions of IE interface with windows components. You may have to repair IE before you do the rest of the above.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:27 PM

Items such as Control Panel use IE as the GUI so its needed. Windows won't operate without it as its too deeply embedded. If you are using FF and have done all the deleteing in IE that you are talking about you are making yourself more vulnerable as the security patches applied for IE are oftened shared with Windows. The best option for a user like you is too update and patch IE to the max and set the security levels in Internet Options as high as they will go and then continue to use FF. As Enthusiast says, at the very least you need it for Windows Updates.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users