Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried To Clean Virus Now Computer Won't Load! Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mbell21_00

mbell21_00

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:30 PM

First let me start by saying I'm completely computer illiterate so please excuse how dumb I probably sound!!!
I was trying to follow the steps that was listed in the "do this befor posting a hijack log" and now my laptop won't load.

I downloaded and ran Adaware, Spybot and Panda. After downloading Panda I restarted the computer and now it won't work. The first time a little black box came up (command prompt, I think) and then nothing. Now the desktop wallpaper comes up but nothing loads. No icons, and you can't do anything.

The opriginal problem I was trying to fix was an annoying AVsystem popup. It would continually popup and whenever I would google something it would take me to a different page then the one I clicked on. I think I killed it trying to fix it!!!!

Please anyone help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

I would try running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console of the XP disk...to see if some order can be restored.

Do you have an XP install CD?

Louis

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:28 AM

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. Type "chkdsk /r" with no quotes around it.
6. This may take a while, but when it is done, type "exit" with no quotes. The computer will reboot, remove the XP cd.

#4 mbell21_00

mbell21_00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

My computer will actually start now but it takes about 10-15 minutes to load everything. Also when I try to open a file or use a program It takes a few minutes to search for it. Should I still proceed with the steps you suggested? Also, do I need to back everything up before doing so?

Thanks for the help!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

If you have an XP CD...it would be my suggestion that you run chkdsk /r before doing anything.

I do it this way (when confronted with possible hard drive problems) because I've found that it makes files readable in circumstances where they previously were unreadable, for whatever reason.

I would then worry about backing up...doing additional diagnostics on the hard drive...etc.

Louis

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:28 AM

Hi mbell21_00, Welcome to BC,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. In your original post you said -->

I was trying to follow the steps that was listed in the "do this before posting a hijack log"

That tells me that you have been having some kind of trouble with a Virus\Trojan or Ad\SpyWare, so rather than fiddling with your system anymore than you already have and chancing getting things even any more jumbled up than they already are I would suggest that you post a thread here --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ <-- along with this link --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131458/tried-to-clean-virus-now-computer-wont-load-help/ <-- back to this thread.

Be sure to say what operating system you're using in your post. Describe the problems that you have been having in as much detail as you can and tell what you've done to try to correct the problem so far.

That way you'll have someone from the HJT team helping you along and if they see that you need it then they will move your thread over to the HJT forum.

Good Luck.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:55 AM

Nice rec, Wendy :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:07 AM

Hi hamluis,

*shocked expression on face* What... you mean I was right? :thumbsup: *doing little happy dance on coffee table* Thanks Louis.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users