Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Add/remove Programs!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reno_38super

reno_38super

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:52 PM

ok heres the rundown...

I accidentally installed a stupid trojan that kept trying to get me to download "XP Antivirus", i found a solution here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/111715/how-to-remove-xpantivirus-removal-instructions/

somehow in the middle of those steps, my comp caught another program, "Malwarecrush", to which i found a solution here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/123050/how-to-remove-malwarecrush-removal-instructions/

now i go to control panel and then to add/remove programs, and i cant modify any programs, the button that says "add/remove" isnt there, it just shows the programs size and its frequency of use...and on top of that, there are all these programs that ive never seen populated on that list before.

anyone know whats going?

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 16 February 2008 - 07:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ActiveX

ActiveX

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:09 PM

Download the program "Ccleaner". This will give you a list of what is installed on your computer, and will unistall them if you select them. www.ccleaner.com

This should automatically get rid of it

Then download smitfraud. this will remove and spyware on your computer

Thank You

ActiveX

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

Hi reno_38super,

Bleeping Computer doesn't recommend the use of Registry Cleaners.
Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications and their potential for harming your OS far outweighs any small potential for improving your computer's performance.

There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone.
Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly can have disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Further reading: XP Fixes Myth #1: Registry Cleaners
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users