Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My External Hard Drive Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

I've had this external hard drive which I threw together with a sabrent external enclosure and an 80gb hard drive from an old laptop that died. Anyway. I put some games on it and it was working out pretty fine for the past month, until a couple days ago. My friends and I were playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, which is installed on the external, and we wanted to check something, so we minimized the game and looked up something using mozilla firefox. After a few minutes we went to open the game back up and it wouldn't opened, and it came up at not responding. So we closed the game and afterward tried opening the game again and it wouldn't, it just did nothing. Then we tried opening mozilla and my whole computer froze. I restarted the computer, and when I tried opening grand theft auto again, the loading screen would go half way then just freeze up. I tried a few times and it still kept freezing. So I went on and tried opening some other programs and folders and nothing would open on my computer! If something did open, and I tried clicking on it, it would come up as not responding (it didn't matter if the programs, files, or folders I tried opening were on the external or not).

I finally realized that my external hard drive being plugged in causes these problems. Also, now the drive is not recognized in my computer, but the computer detects the usb drive is plugged in, and under device manager, and disk management. Here is a screenshot of my desktop, of how the drive shows up in disk management and device manager (I had to open both programs up before I plugged the external in or, they would not open) Posted Image
Notice how disk management is not responding. This is just from me clicking my mouse. Also, Drive D that is being shown is just a little 39mb partition on my hard drive in my computer, Disk 1 shown on the bottom part is the external. I also tried the drive on my brothers laptop running windows xp, and it would bring up a message saying something about a bitmap file being corrupt and then the whole laptop would just lock up.

So can someone help me out on how to fix this? I think if I reformatted the drive it would be fine, but windows isn't letting me. I don't need any files off of it either. Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Edited by Sterling14, 16 February 2008 - 02:02 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

I'd try running a bootable diagnostic on the drive - it's likely that it died on you, but a diagnostic will tell for sure. I'm not sure if the bootable tests support USB - so check before downloading and running one. You may have to put the drive back in the computer in order to get a bootable test to run (but don't try to boot into Windows!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 chvsnraju

chvsnraju

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hi,
I have the similar issue. My external HD was working fine until yesterday and suddenly stopped working in between when I was copying something. Then onwards whenever I plug in my external hard drive, my folder explorer is not working. When I unplug, all the applications working fine. Do you remember what did you do with this issue?

Thanks
Raju

#4 Rooawash

Rooawash

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

I have this exact problem
I was playing wow, game suddenly froze, couldnt do anything to the computer at all so I restarted it, hard drive wasnt showing up, but was preventing programs from running.

I realize this topic is 1 year old, why isn't there a fix for it after 1 year?

#5 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:47 PM

The fix is get a new HD, It sounds like it died . R.I.P. Cheers

#6 Rooawash

Rooawash

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:13 PM

I want to share how I fixed it, because I found this topic with google so if anyone else has the same problem they will probably get this topic.
What fixed it for me was that I simply restarted my computer, powered off my external hard drive, plugged it into my computer, then turned it back on and let it sit for about an hour, eventually it just started acting like normal. I don't know why this worked but it did

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users