Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Registry Cleanup.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Daytomann

Daytomann

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

How do I do a registry cleanup?

I'm running Windows XP.

Thank you.

Edited by Daytomann, 16 February 2008 - 12:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

We don't recommend cleaning the registry. It doesn't do anything significant, and it has hurt a lot of systems. There's more about it in this article: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Daytomann

Daytomann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

Thank you.
I've had my PC for 5 years now. I've kept it "clean" with Norton/yahoo, Adaware, and Spybot, and I defrag regularly.
I've just upgraded RAM to 750MB and its still runs good. It does bog down from time to time and I'm just trying to figure out a few tweaks to keep it running as fast as possible.

Wasnt sure if reg cleanup was a possibilty.

I have also posted about index.dat cleaning.

Edited by Daytomann, 16 February 2008 - 01:03 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

The primary "tweaks" that I've used over the years are:
- Performance settings with the Desktop and in the System applet of Control Panel
- Trimming of startup entries
- Trimming of services

Those will achieve the greatest gain with the least effort (IMO) - but they still require some research and testing to get the best mix.
There are other "tweaks" available, but (again IMO) the effort to implement them isn't worth the gain.

It also depends on where it bogs down, and what causes it. Try looking in Task Manager to see what's hogging your resources. There's an awful lot of information available in that little program.

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Daytomann

Daytomann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

Thanks again,
I've looked in my task manager when I'm showing a high CPU usage but I'm dammed if I know what to trim to keep the hogging down..HA.

I downloaded Start up Inspector for Windows. I'm hoping that will give me some tips on trimming of startup entries. I have not run it yat as I only DLd it a few mins ago...

I have used Performance settings with the Desktop and in the System applet of Control Panel already.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:27 PM

It depends on what's using it. Look at the Processes tab in Task Manager. Click on the CPU column label 2 times - that'll bring the high numbers to the top. Let us know what's using the most of the CPU (it'll change a bit as time passes) - if it's System Idle Process, that just Windows doing it's "thing" and is OK. Normally System Idle Process will settle down into the high 90's.

I'm not familiar with the program that you downloaded for startups - but the process is similar for most of them. Locate the startup and read the filename that starts it - the click on the Startup List tab at the top of this page ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ ) and look it up. If you've got any questions about it, post back here and we can discuss it. FYI - a lot of entries make reference to viruses or malware. That's because the entry can be legitimate or it can be bad - discussing it will help to let you know what's what.

A good site for reading about services is http://www.blackviper.com

#7 Daytomann

Daytomann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:03 PM

In the task manager, after clicking CPU two times...the top entries read:
System Idle Process high 90's----95 to 98
exporer.exe 02
taskmgr.exe 02

Theres a ton of entries on processes that are reading 0 right now.

right this second CPU usage is very low 5-20% at 449MB. At times it has gotten pegged out to 100%. But I have not known enough to identify the "hogs" in the past. I'm learning as we speak.

I'm not familiar with the program that you downloaded for startups - but the process is similar for most of them. Locate the startup and read the filename that starts it - the click on the Startup List tab at the top of this page ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ ) and look it up. If you've got any questions about it, post back here and we can discuss it. FYI - a lot of entries make reference to viruses or malware. That's because the entry can be legitimate or it can be bad - discussing it will help to let you know what's what.

A good site for reading about services is http://www.blackviper.com

I'm sorry, I'm not following you on this one.

Edited by Daytomann, 16 February 2008 - 03:05 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

Since it settles down to System Idle Process in the high 90's - that's probably OK. The spikes are programs using, then releasing the CPU (which is normal).

For the startup programs you'll have to research each entry to see if it's something that you need/want. If not, then you can disable it. The Startup List at the top of the page will help you determine what the startup entry is so you can decide if you need it or not.

As for the BlackViper website - that was me jumping ahead a bit. Services also startup with Windows, and some startup managers will show them. Researching them is best done (IMO) at the BlackViper website.

#9 Daytomann

Daytomann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

I ran the Start up Inspector for Windows. It gave icons with recommendations on what to do with each application..users choice, required, not required, etc...and gave a definition of each application. It was helpfull.

It said one aplication was associated with a virus..mmtask.exe Any ideas on how I can get rid of it or if I even should?

#10 Daytomann

Daytomann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Just did a reboot...Windows is starting noticably fast now. At least I accomplished something today. :thumbsup:

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

mmtask can be a virus, but it can also be associated with the MusicMatch Jukebox - a legitimate program. In either case, it's not necessary to have it start with Windows - I'd say disable it.

#12 Daytomann

Daytomann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

Thanks,
Thats what the definition said...I disabled it. I'll just leave it alone for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users