Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heat On The 8600 Gt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

I was wondering if anyone knew or could tell me how to find what a good idle temp for the evga 8600 GT 512MB GDDR3 is? I know i have some cooling issues i need to correct but i don't know exactly how urgent it is. on a fresh boot this morning it started at 46C idling now at 54 after about 15 minutes of being on, problem is when i load up a game. After about 15 minutes of LOTRO last night i shut it off and it was sitting at 71C. Now the card doesn't feel hot to the touch or anything but i don't want to fry the gpu on a brand new card. I couldn't find jack on google or nvidia's site other than "it varies" I'm a marathon gamer and the fact that it hit 71 after 15-20 minutes kinda freaked me out. any advice would be appreciated. Also if anyone can point me to somewhere telling me how to underclock the card for the time being that would be great too.
One more thing while i'm at it. The problem i'm having with the heat i think is that the PSU has a 120mm or cm whatever fan, and the old standby 80mm fan on the case are both pointing toward the CPU, which would be great and all except they put a big cone on the heatsink that is completely blocking the air from the PSU, and at least partially deflecting from the case fan. Now the cone in theory is a good idea, since its taking most of the hot air from the CPU and pushing it out the vent hole in the side of the case, but i don't know if i'm actually worse off for having it with the way its blocking the airflow the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

Leave the cone on the CPU if you remove it the inside of the case will only get hotter since the hot air from the CPU will be venting in side the case. A temp of 71c is ok if it gets much above 80c I would start to worry.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:02 PM

just make sure that the case itself is getting plenty of cool air, and you are not recirculating hot air from the output back into the case

even a small room fan pointed at the case can lower internal temperatures significantly, in hotter rooms and weather opening the case and directing even an 9 inch fan into the open side from several feet away will keep everything a lot cooler
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

got the case opened up, fan behind it, can't do much else right now cuz of the weird way the room is situated with the outlets and stuff. Did manage to hit 83C before i realized it after an hour and a half in the game...going over to get a couple of case fans tomorrow, see if that makes it a nonstupid temperature. If not i'm going to give up and ship it back to newegg get me something different. does the 7950 have issues with superhigh temperatures too? heard it was sposed to be a lil better than the 8600. I thought having a sweet lil video card would be a good thing, haven't had so much "fun" since the kids threw quarters at my old motherboard...

think maybe its just a bad card? or fan whatever on it? oh, and since i can't find anything on underclocking. eVGA quit putting the power connectors on this model, but i got one with the connector. people are saying it underclocks itself when it gets into intense graphics presumably because of the lack of power to it. Maybe if i disconnected the power to it i could induce the underclocking?

Edited by smurfgod, 16 February 2008 - 06:16 PM.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

well it's just doing what you wanted it to, play newer games well and that power supply? is keeping it running fast

Is that one of those mini atx cases? The slot coolers are next to useless.

it's a little tricky to wire but I have seen people use a 110 fan pulling power off the circuit that feeds the power supply

I had a short 2 bay mini desktop case that I built for mobile DJ stuff and had to scrounge around and add an old high rpm fan for exhaust, sounded like a jet engine

you could always turn the games way down

all those cards are designed to run hot, that's why they don't last long

gamers just buy a new one

keep your room cooler

Edited by DaChew, 16 February 2008 - 07:25 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:59 AM

I agree with Dachew especially on the last point he made. Keeping the room cooler. If your ambient temperature (the temperature in the room) is 80+ degrees you can't cool the computer lower then that. Since your using passive cooling (a heat sink and fan) the fan will only cool the heat sink to the surrounding temperature no matter how many fans you have. This is why big server rooms have Air conditioning and its run year round to keep the room cool. The only solutions are peltier, liquid cooling with refrigerant, and keeping the room cooler.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

Or if it's cold outside, and you have you computer desk up against a window, open it! I do that and switch my fan on the back to suck freezing air in.

One thing that caught my attention was that you said the heatsink wasn't warm to the touch!? anything over 45C should be noticeably warm to the touch. Next time it's at those high temps I'd suggest feeling the heatsink under the fan and perhaps putting you hand close by probably not touch the back or the card just to see if theres any ambient heat from the back! Because when my X1950 Pro hits it's max of around 53C after overclocking it's noticeably almost hot to the touch.

Perhaps your temp monitor isn't properly showing the temp.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#8 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

maybe you're right about the temp monitor thing but if it is its something to do with the actual card somewhere or the mobo, cuz Speedfan, Ntune and Everest all read the same temp. Hopefully i helped it out today. I moved my desk over by the window maybe i'll take the plastic off it tomorrow. ditched the exhaust PCI fan and got a VGA cooler PCI fan, mounted another 80mm on the side of the case, but i lined it up wrong and it hits taht stupid cone, so i'll have to redo it tomorrow. but right now i just started er up with the case opened up and a box fan pointed at it. already idling at 54 without even starting up the game tho, so my hopes aren't that high but we'll see.

#9 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:54 AM

not sure what did it, but it seems to be working a lot cooler now. actually got to play full screen for about 3 and a half hours, most i seen it at was 73. Of course while changing out those fans i seem to have messed up my sound but i'll mess with it tomorrow.

Edited by smurfgod, 18 February 2008 - 01:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users