Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus? And how do I fix it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krsvicious

krsvicious

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:54 PM

Hey! I'm doing this for my roommate because it appears her computer has a virus. Any information is GREATLY appreciated!

The low-down...

We have DSL, computer stays on 24/7 (probably not a good thing), we do have a anti-virus program. I don't know which one and am not sure about a firewall. We also have some sort of mp3 download software. I hate these things and I'm assuming this is where the problem stemmed from. Windows XP...relatively new computer, HP...

Came home last night to the computer being frozen. Rebooted by holding down the button on the tower. Computer started up fine but as soon as we tried to sign on to AIM it shut down on it's own. We turned it back on, it re-started, but as soon as it finished logging on it shut itself down again. We were unable to check anything - to see what processes are running, etc because it just keeps shutting down as soon as we're logged on.

Any ideas on what's causing this and how it can be fixed? We're an apartment of four girls with little knowledge of computers. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

Restart the computer and tap the F8 key repeatedly as soon as the screen lights up until you come to a black and white screen with a menu on it. Pick Safe Mode and press enter. This will prevent your AIM from being able to log on. Go to Start>Run and type msconfig. Look for AOL Instant messenger in the list under the startup tab and remove the check mark in front of it. This will stop AIM from starting when you boot the computer. Run your anti-virus software and reboot normally if you can. Post back with the result and we can take it from there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 krsvicious

krsvicious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:47 AM

Hello. So I went home and did what you told me, but I fear that the computer is beyond repair. I was able to get into safe mode and AIM wasn't even checked for start-up, but I rebooted anyway and now the computer doesn't even get past the blue windows XP screen. My other roommate mentioned something about a "blue screen of death"?

I also noticed weird programs under the start-up tab when I did the msconfig thing (cloaker, something else...I don't know, they just looked weird) SO I don't know what to do! Could this be the end of our beloved computer?

Thanks again for your time!

#4 krsvicious

krsvicious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:53 AM

thanks for the help...
guess she's on her own.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:59 AM

Tell her she needs to run HiJack This and submit a log. The instructions can be found here. It sounds to me like she has an issue with spyware.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users