Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Ive Wanted To Know For Awhile.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cliver

cliver

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:18 AM

I've always wondered why they call it a 1.5 mb connection but i download at 160 kb/second max.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:13 AM

Hi cliver,

That, my friend, is a question akin to asking 'where'd mankind come from?' If you call tour ISP they'll gice you a bunch of geek speak that usually means they don't know the answer either.

i download at 160 kb/second

You lucky dog... I have that so-called high speed DSL and at times my download rate is as low as 19Kbs, even though it had started off at something like 250kbs.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:58 AM

1.5 mb connection but i download at 160 kb/second max.

the translation

1.5 mega bits per second

8 bits to a byte, but everything sent from one point to another has an overhead(error correction) so I just use the 10-1 conversion to allow for this

1.5Mbits is 1,500 Kbits or 150Kbytes/s
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:44 PM

The other wonderful 'gotcha' is that there is not an ISP that will 'guarantee' consistent speeds of 'XXX mbs' . The term is always 'up to'XXX mbs.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hi Animal,

Yeah it's either that or 'best effort'.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users