Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues With Geforce 8600 Gt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 matthew_b

matthew_b

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:11 AM

My computer is running off of an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 motherboard and I recently installed a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT (512 MB) graphics card. The card works like a dream after the drivers were installed. The problem is that after intallation i suddenly am having trouble with my sound. I have two sets of jacks, speakers/mic in the back, and speakers/mic in the front. The back jacks now do not seem to work at all, I get zero sound from them, while the front jack-- I seem to only get one speaker to work (the right) while my mic doesnt work at all.

My sound is RealTec 97, and I've reinstalled video drivers, as well as sound drivers twice now with no luck. Checked the control panel, sound devices, everything seems normal. Nothing's muted, nothing seems wrong when looking through my sound manager, but there is OBVIOUSLY something wrong.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this and would greatly appreciate any kind of help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:58 AM

You have added ram, a hard drive and a strong video card to an older entry level computer?

Did you upgrade the power supply?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 matthew_b

matthew_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:05 AM

Nah, haven't touched the power supply. Power supply could effect sound function like that? o_O

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

If your voltages are dropping then most anything is possible, burning up your ram and motherboard can come first then the power supply just dies, your operating system may get corrupt inbetween, I worked on an emachine and the mobo, cpu and powersupply had a mass suicide. No power surges.

This is my best guess, I am right some of the time, every now and then

Pull the new video card and see if the sound comes back?

that's one long everest report to read but without it I wouldn't have known what you had done to that computer?

Edited by DaChew, 16 February 2008 - 09:09 AM.

Chewy

#5 matthew_b

matthew_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

okay, great, I appreciate it. Thanks very much. What type of new power supply would you suggest that would be able to support the upgrading i've done?

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

Pull the new video card and see if the sound comes back?

did this have any effect?

what's the make and model numvber of your computer?
Chewy

#7 matthew_b

matthew_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

I took out the card and restarted, it had no effect. Same problem with the sound as before.

Its an emachines T3422

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:50 PM

they've had a run of bad motherboards lately, but a lot of bad power supplies also

might just be a wait and see problem

maybe somebody would loan you an older pci sound card, you would need to disable onboard in bios first
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users