Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Wga After Upgrading Mobo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 4643daniel

4643daniel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:47 PM

hi (first post here) iv just upgraded my mobo, dvd rw, memory and hdd. I was running XP pro OEM so I new i may have a problem when it came to install time. My last hdd failed just days before upgrade time. Anyways my question is, now I get the FAILED WGA msg can I upgrade to vista UPGRADE PACKAGE instead of buying the full retail or OEM versions. I dont really plan on major upgrading in the future but you never now so I d rather stay away from OEM versions, and a full retail copy is pushing the old wallet far and beyond. Any advice would be great cheers. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:02 AM

You are supposed to activate first? If that fails then you get a phone number to call and work out the mess with Microsoft, they may have to give you a new number, then you go to the updates and you should pass validation if you are legal.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:54 AM

You seem to have a misconception on just what an OEM version is...or maybe that's just my interpretation of what you posted.

The major differences between retail and OEM versions of Windows: Support from MS...and...support from MS :flowers:. Your reference to upgrading in the future has no correlation to the difference.

OEM versions (of Windows) are presumed to be sold to system builders and retailers who will bear the brunt of servicing the systems they build or sell.

OTOH, those who rely on MS for support...better keep their wallets handy :thumbsup:, IMO.

OEM versions are cheaper costwise, based on the assumption of no support by MS.

Louis

#4 4643daniel

4643daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:15 PM

hi again thanks for putting me straight on activation and OEM, but Im not sure you got the right end of the stick-all IM asking is "can I upgrade to vista UPGRADE PACKAGE instead of buying the full retail or OEM versions". cheers

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:Amxkw...;cd=1&gl=us

Answers that and more.

Louis

#6 4643daniel

4643daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for your time hamluis-it sort answers my question ish. Because I now have a failed WGA copy of xp on my system im worried if I buy the vista upgrade package it fill fail to install and I will have wasted my money. Any how cheers for your time pal.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

Well...I would imagine that an install of XP which isn't viewed as bona fide...does not offer an upgrade path to Vista.

It would not in my world :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 4643daniel

4643daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:53 PM

I no not in MS's world as well , I still have a new shinny comp tho . cheers pal :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users