Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wilykyote

Wilykyote

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

downloaded two programs, Zone Alarm and Spybot S & D but could not install them. Error messages as follows:
Zone Alarm- "setup was unable to find the msi package or patch"
Spybot - File Download window stating "error sending request" ""server name or address could not be resolved"

tried downloading both again from different sites and tried installing from both desktop and Add or Remove Programs with same error messages.
PC is HP Pavilion laptop with xp home and SP2
no viruses per Avast, no malware per Ad-Aware
Thanks for help. Wily

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

Well, there may be a problem with Windows Installer on your PC. Also, I think that Spybot is attempting to download the updates in the installer (normal) but it can't get any access. Is your computer connected up to the internet. Maybe wait and see what some of the other members have to say.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, have you got the latest updates from Microsoft Update? Yours Windows Installer may need to be updated. As for the problem with Spybot S&D I still think it is that your not connected to the internet.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

Oh and before I forget, this might help you http://forums.zonelab.com/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=72126

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:47 AM

Well...where did you download these programs from?

Sometimes downloads are corrupt, have you tried downloading them from the developer's websites...again?

Do the downloads fail or the installs?

What's the exact error message, please?

You should not use Add/Remove Programs...to install. Totally unnecessary, just click on the downloaded files and follow instructions.

Louis

#6 Wilykyote

Wilykyote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I was not connected to the internet at time of installations. I will try this, and also download again from developers websites. Confusing, because I had just installed other programs while disconnected without a hitch (Adobe8 and Avast).
The programs may be trying to update during installation and internet access is needed. Wily

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users